Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivipar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
hello world!

please forgive me if my questions gives away that I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm simply trying to emulate windows on my MacBook Pro (M2, 2022) to try and play some windows-only games.

I'm stuck at the point where I've launched windows in UTM and I clicked through picking a region, language for the keyboard, etc. now comes the screen with "let's connect you to a network" where I'm supposed to hit fn/shift-F10 and insert a command to bypass this. but nothing happens if I use that key combination. as you can tell, I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm simply following instructions. does anybody have an idea how to move forward from here?

thank you for reading this!

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Here is how it works:

1. Windows will display a "Let's connect you to a network" or similar screen. ...
  2. On the screen, use Shift-F10 to open a command prompt window.
  3. Type OOBE\BYPASSNRO and hit the Enter-key.

The Problem with the UTM Wizard is, it does not configure a Network and starts install immediately if you do not check Open VM Settings on this Page:

Screenshot 05.01.2023 um 20.19.20 PM.png

You have to configure a Network in UTM for the VM
1678962262190.png
before:

Screenshot 05.01.2023 um 20.12.02 PM.png

If you want to use a bridged Network with own ETH USB Adapter unconfigure in OSX first no IP4 and IP6 Manually no Values, then find out the Hardware enX Number with: networksetup -listallhardwareports in Terminal and enter in:

Screenshot 09.11.2022 um 15.17.47 PM.png

To Install Windows without Network:

Here is how it works:

1. Windows will display a "Let's connect you to a network" or similar screen. ...

Last edited:

vivipar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Here is how it works:

The Problem with the UTM Wizard is, it does not configure a Network and starts install immediately if you do not check Open VM Settings on this Page:

View attachment 2174511

You have to configure a Network in UTM for the VM View attachment 2174505 before:

View attachment 2174509
If you want to use a bridged Network with own ETH USB Adapter unconfigure in OSX first no IP4 and IP6 Manually no Values, then find out the Hardware enX Number with: networksetup -listallhardwareports in Terminal and enter in:

View attachment 2174510

To Install Windows without Network:

Here is how it works:

thank you for this!

unfortunately, this is exactly where I'm stuck:
2. On the screen, use Shift-F10 to open a command prompt window. ---> if I hit Shift-F10 or fn-Shift-F10, nothing happens at all. no command prompt window opens. is there any way around this? what could I be doing wrong? I did install UTM on an external hard drive because of storage reasons, could that have anything to do with it?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Start from Scratch and check the "Open VM Settings" checkbox when using the Wizard for a new Win11 Arm VM or just close the VM in UTM and edit the Settings of the VM as mentioned above.

.....and maybe you have go a step back from the Network Menu when installing and try then.......

Last edited:

vivipar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Start from Scratch and check the "Open VM Settings" checkbox when using the Wizard for a new Win11 Arm VM or just close the VM in UTM and edit the Settings of the VM as mentioned above.

.....and maybe you have go a step back from the Network Menu when installing and try then.......
I tried both, but nothing changed. still can't open a prompt window :/

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Try to remove the network adapter from the VM, you can add it after the installation is complete.

rchsun

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2024
I just had this problem! You can do the Shift+F10 in the Select Region screen, once you get to the network screen it will not let you do it anymore.

Reactions: genexx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.