Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucy Brown

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I was hoping to take a photography course at my local community college in hopes to expand my photography knowledge and qualify for a student discount to buy photography equipment. Camera,gear,CPU, software, etc...

Well they have no course. DOH!

So what does qualify me as a student to get these nice discounts I keep hearing about. Will any course at the local college do or do I have to be majoring in something at a "real" college? I mean community colleges offer ballroom dancing courses and stuff like that. Would any course no matter what the size/length qualify me for a student discount. I'd hate to take some course just for the sake of taking it and then get shot down by Apple because of some fine print nonsense.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was hoping to take a photography course at my local community college in hopes to expand my photography knowledge and qualify for a student discount to buy photography equipment. Camera,gear,CPU, software, etc...

So what does qualify me as a student to get these nice discounts I keep hearing about. Will any course at the local college do or do I have to be majoring in something at a "real" college? I mean community colleges offer ballroom dancing courses and stuff like that. Would any course no matter what the size/length qualify me for a student discount. I'd hate to take some course just for the sake of taking it and then get shot down by Apple because of some fine print nonsense.

As far as I can tell, Apple never verifies that you really are a student/faculty/staff when you purchase items with an eduacational discount. It's all on the honor system I suppose. So they're going to care even less whether or not you're full-time, degree or non-degree, etc.

Keep in mind Apple's probably getting a tax write-off when they sell to "educational" customers.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

It varies by company. I think all Apple wants is a valid student ID card from a post secondary school. Adobe will extend discounts to high school students. But do you want these discounts? Most student software is not upgradable. So when the times comes to upgrade you will have to pay full price again. Apple does offer student discounts on hardware too but the amount of the discount is maybe $100 off on a Mac Pro. So little as to be not worth it.

But yes "ballroom dancing" or even a PE class would qualify you.

Lucy Brown

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Hmmm

Interesting. I'd really rather not take the chance and fib about being a student. My luck I'll get caught. If I can take like basket weaving 101 for a few classes and qualify as a student that would awesome. On the other hand if you cant upgrade software and the Mac Pro I want to buy is only going to be 100 bucks less maybe I wont bother.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You don't need a student ID card. I'm not a student or faculty but my employer is affiliated with a university (which I'm not employed by) and as such I have, through work, a .edu email address. This has proven sufficient for me to get educational discounts. I saved several hundred dollars when I purchased my Mac Pro w/30" ACD this way. It's always worth it.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
On the other hand if you cant upgrade software and the Mac Pro I want to buy is only going to be 100 bucks less maybe I wont bother.

Mac Pro discount is $200 for the standard config. Anyone can view edu discount store, just go to the page and enter a school. Here's one. I didn't use a student discount b/c I have a discount through ASMP. My MP was $2575 (standard config) + $46 for airport. 23" ACD was $827. 30" (which I didn't buy) is $1655. Strangely, edu store used to offer discount iPods, but not anymore. ASMP does, though. I've heard the ADC discount is significant, but you have to pay $500 for a membership to begin with. To confuse things further, student membership for ADC is $99, so that is really the best discount if you can swing it.

As for software, academic superstore has better prices than the apple store. You can get CS3 (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, bridge, and acrobat) for under $400.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
As for as ordering from apple just go to K-12 Teacher and put in your zip and click on a random school that shows up and you'll get a discount.

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
why waste money to take a course at a college just to receive a discount on apple products?

you're paying more in the long run.

suck it up and pay retail prices until you actually DO go to school for something you enjoy.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
As far as I can tell, Apple never verifies that you really are a student/faculty/staff when you purchase items with an eduacational discount. It's all on the honor system I suppose. So they're going to care even less whether or not you're full-time, degree or non-degree, etc.

Keep in mind Apple's probably getting a tax write-off when they sell to "educational" customers.

you "were" right. they do now, they will contact you and unless u provide proof they will cancel your order. thats what happened to me i was a student but i used my dads credit card cus mione had a 1000 limit, i didnt cheek my email and after 1 week it got canceled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.