Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downhillski1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
NY
Hi Guys. I'm a HS senior right now and I am going to RIT next year for photojournalism. I have used my schools Canon 1Ds Mk II this year, but of course I now have to buy my own camera since I am graduating. I don't need anything like the 1Ds Mk II, but I was thinking of getting the 1D Mk III or a refurbished 1Ds Mk II or 5D or something similar. The problem is that they are quite expensive and I am looking to find one cheaper. Any suggestions on where to look for discounts, other than B+H, Adorama, Calumet, and the like? I'd rather not go to ebay to buy camera equipment. Anyone looking to get rid of their 1Ds Mk II or something similar? I've sold photos to the AP and SI, so the problem is that I need a camera that can keep up with everyone else. If you want to see some of my work, you can go here: http://www.picasaweb.google.com/downhillski1
feel free to comment on my work too!
Thanks sooooo much!!!

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I love your lacrosse pictures. It is good to see that someone else likes the sport. I don't know anything about your camera dilemma.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If you're doing PJ work, why not get the 1D MkII or MkIIn? Particularly for PJ work, you're not going to need the resolution of the 1Ds. Plus, the 1D series gives you the flexibility to get the shot because of it's high FPS. The 1DIII would be an option, but make sure it's a "blue dot" model. A lot of focusing issues with the 1DIII.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi Guys. I'm a HS senior right now and I am going to RIT next year for photojournalism. I have used my schools Canon 1Ds Mk II this year, but of course I now have to buy my own camera since I am graduating. I don't need anything like the 1Ds Mk II, but I was thinking of getting the 1D Mk III or a refurbished 1Ds Mk II or 5D or something similar. The problem is that they are quite expensive and I am looking to find one cheaper. Any suggestions on where to look for discounts, other than B+H, Adorama, Calumet, and the like? I'd rather not go to ebay to buy camera equipment. Anyone looking to get rid of their 1Ds Mk II or something similar? I've sold photos to the AP and SI, so the problem is that I need a camera that can keep up with everyone else. If you want to see some of my work, you can go here: http://www.picasaweb.google.com/downhillski1
feel free to comment on my work too!
Thanks sooooo much!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone changes their direction somewhat in collage. I'd not invest to much in equipment that is specialized for sports photography. You might also contact the school and ask about rentals and loaners for enrolled students. I'd wait until I talked to someone at the school before I bough anything.

That said, if budget is an issue then look for used gear. SOme of the best places to find used stuff is on the canon forums. Joint up and post some messages and get to know how the foums work then post a WTB ad. Also check your local camera shops ad then looks at Samy's , B&H and Adorama used listing and then KEH. KEH will likely have what you want but at the highest price.

downhillski1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
NY
Hey guys thanks for the advice.I am thinking of getting the Mk III because of the higher resolution than the Mk IIn. Also, canon is replacing/repairing any models that have the focusing problem so I am not too worried. The school has tons of equipment for students to use, but I can't do any commercial work with university owned equipment. Also, they are requiring every photo student to have their own DSLR, and I want something that can last me for a couple of years or so. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.