Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panthro100

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
I was using a 2010 iMac (which broke recently) so I switched over to my MacBook Air 2012.

I've been waiting for a replacement setup for a 27" iMac and the Studio Display plus a laptop seems like a good fit.

I want to be able to plug in the laptop to use at home at my desk, and then take the laptop away when I go to the office etc.

Could I ask:

1. Which laptop do you recommend (I want something small and all I do is web dev so nothing too powerful is required - but powerful enough so it feeds out to the Studio Display).
2. Will the laptop easily connect to the studio display and just work like an iMac for example. Would it be plug and play?
3. Does the laptop lid need to remain open whilst connected to the display?

Thank you

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
2. Will the laptop easily connect to the studio display and just work like an iMac for example. Would it be plug and play?
As long as it has Thunderbolt 3 or 4 like all current Macs do, yes, it'll be plug and play.

No. If you have an external keyboard and mouse connected, you can close the laptop and use just the external display. This is known as clamshell mode and has been possible for, like, more than 20 years. :)

Last edited:

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
Go with at least 16GB of ram for development. Less ram will not really cut it for development work.
I am doing java development, sometimes I run out of 16gb.

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
It depends a little on your wallet as well.
If you are looking at the MacBook Air with 16GB ram and 512GB storage, the base 14" pro (16GB ram and 512GB storage) is not that much more expensive, but is a lot faster. Also the advantage of the pro is that it can be used with more than one external display. My personal preference would go to the 14".
The 13" pro is basically a MacBook Air + a fan so it can take heavy loads for longer duration without slowdown and a Touch Bar; a thing I never use. I wouldn't go for the 13" pro. With 16GB ram it is almost as expensive as the 14", which is a way better machine.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
This will be a great setup - the Studio Display really allows for this docked-when-at-desk / take-laptop-to-go one device experience really nicely. And all with a single-TB3/4 cable solution (you only need TB3 since the Studio Display is only TB3) that will give more than enough power (96W) + display signal at full res (5K @ 60hz).

Agree with others that if your performance needs are modest but your funds allow, the base 14" M1 Pro MBP (8-core / 14-Core, 16gb Ram, 512gb SSD) at $1999 is a fantastic value. You get the "newest" model / MBP body right after a model redesign, vs the MBA which is on an older body (and many rumors point to a new redesigned MBA coming out in the near-future). Ditto when comparing vs the old 13" M1 MBP (especially when upgrading to 16gb memory as @SjoukeW pointed out). Not to mention you'd also be getting an older 5.5yr-old body / worse screen, etc.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
This will be a great setup - the Studio Display really allows for this docked-when-at-desk / take-laptop-to-go one device experience really nicely. And all with a single-TB3/4 cable solution (you only need TB3 since the Studio Display is only TB3) that will give more than enough power (96W) + display signal at full res (5K @ 60hz).

Agree with others that if your performance needs are modest but your funds allow, the base 14" M1 Pro MBP (8-core / 14-Core, 16gb Ram, 512gb SSD) at $1999 is a fantastic value. You get the "newest" model / MBP body right after a model redesign, vs the MBA which is on an older body (and many rumors point to a new redesigned MBA coming out in the near-future). Ditto when comparing vs the old 13" M1 MBP (especially when upgrading to 16gb memory as @SjoukeW pointed out). Not to mention you'd also be getting an older 5.5yr-old body / worse screen, etc.
You don't need the Studio Display. There are other monitors that can provide the same features, at 50-75% of the price, though it will likely be 4K resolution, which is still pretty great. Personally, I am willing to pay the premium for not only the 5K but Apple specific features.

Last edited:

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I was using a 2010 iMac (which broke recently) so I switched over to my MacBook Air 2012.

I've been waiting for a replacement setup for a 27" iMac and the Studio Display plus a laptop seems like a good fit.

I want to be able to plug in the laptop to use at home at my desk, and then take the laptop away when I go to the office etc.

Could I ask:

1. Which laptop do you recommend (I want something small and all I do is web dev so nothing too powerful is required - but powerful enough so it feeds out to the Studio Display).

Thank you
1. Get the MBP 14. It can support two 6K monitors in case you want to get a second Studio Display. FYI - there's rumors Apple will release a "Pro" version that features 120Hz/ProMotion later this year. It'll probably be priced around $2,999.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
You don't need the Studio Display. There are other monitors that can provide the same features, at 50-75% of the price, though it will likely be 4K resolution, which is still pretty great. Personally, I am willing to pay the premium for not only the 5K but Apple specific features.
Yes I definitely agree, I just assumed he wanted it / made sense in his budget, similar to you.

FWIW, this is coming from someone who's used a 27" 4K LG monitor (UD-68) for 6 years now, first with the 2016 13" MBP, and with my current 14" M1 Pro MBP since last Nov. All scaled to "Looks like 2560 x 1440", which of course is what the Studio Display is meant to be run at.

For me, bang-for-buck was key, and my monitor only cost $400 (6yrs ago!). And in my eyes, the MacOS HiDPI scaling was still really good (doubles to 5K 5120 x 2880, and then downscales to the 4K monitor), that I was ok not getting the perfect pixel-doubling of a true 5K monitor to save on the cost.

I still feel the same way 6yrs later - I'd love to be able to get the Studio Display, but realistically once the "newness factor" wears off, my experience really wouldn't be all that different. Same size monitor. Same UI size (2560 x 1440). Just a little extra crispness with a true 5K panel and cleaner Apple aesthetic / design language. Not worth the $1599 for now, but who knows, could change in the future if reviews are good and maybe in a year I can get a bit of a discount.

Reactions: flapflapflap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.