Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2022
I have a Studio display which I just had to return because it does not work with my work laptop locked to Catalina due to a corporate policy.

I had assumed the requirement for macOS 12.3 or higher was only for supporting things like center stage and hey Siri. This is not the case.

When plugging in the monitor, apps including zoom, teams, and chrome instantly become unusably sluggish and will sometimes crash. Also, the webcam and speakers do not work, the native resolution is set to 4K, and when scaling to 5k, the display appears fuzzy.

I thought I could get it to work but tricking it to run in display port over USB-C mode, first my using a high speed usbc cable, and second by using the club 3D hdmi -> display port cable in conjunction with a usbc -> hdmi adapter. Neither worked, with the latter causing the screen to black out about once a second.

(Side note, I was able to use the club 3D cable to hook up my Apple TV and Nintendo switch to the studio display, albeit with no sound).

So if you’re like me and forced to use an older version of macOS, don’t buy the studio display. If you’re waiting for your order to ship, do yourself a favor and cancel it.

Reactions: uller6 and perez987

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have a Studio display which I just had to return because it does not work with my work laptop locked to Catalina due to a corporate policy.

I had assumed the requirement for macOS 12.3 or higher was only for supporting things like center stage and hey Siri. This is not the case.

When plugging in the monitor, apps including zoom, teams, and chrome instantly become unusably sluggish and will sometimes crash. Also, the webcam and speakers do not work, the native resolution is set to 4K, and when scaling to 5k, the display appears fuzzy.

I thought I could get it to work but tricking it to run in display port over USB-C mode, first my using a high speed usbc cable, and second by using the club 3D hdmi -> display port cable in conjunction with a usbc -> hdmi adapter. Neither worked, with the latter causing the screen to black out about once a second.

(Side note, I was able to use the club 3D cable to hook up my Apple TV and Nintendo switch to the studio display, albeit with no sound).

So if you’re like me and forced to use an older version of macOS, don’t buy the studio display. If you’re waiting for your order to ship, do yourself a favor and cancel it.

To be quite fair, Apple does make it VERY VERY clear:

1649789809106.png

Unless you see asterisk’s or other means of signifying exceptions, go for what’s in black and white.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020

View attachment 1990560

Unless you see asterisk’s or other means of signifying exceptions, go for what’s in black and white.
i would take this list with a big grain of salt.

the ASD works great with my iPad air 4 and my partner's old(er) dell laptop with TB

did not test the webcam on either

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It worked normally for me on Catalina, excl. center stage. Are you sure your system is not limited somehow by your company’s “corporate policy”?
Are you sure it worked normally in Catalina? macOS only reports the framebuffer size, not the actual output resolution. You have to use view the timing info in SwitchResX or AGDCDiagnose or AllRez.

Reactions: Amethyst1

cybertruck

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
Yes :) I’ve had 2 full workdays before deciding to upgrade to Monterey, as I was curious to test center stage. Everything worked fine on Catalina for me (latest, not sure which version specifically).

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yes :) I’ve had 2 full workdays before deciding to upgrade to Monterey, as I was curious to test center stage. Everything worked fine on Catalina for me (latest, not sure which version specifically).
Did the timing info show 500+MHz or 900+MHz?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Could this mean that the ASD could drop support for older systems due to an iOS update? I feel like a monitor should not require a certain OS to work properly.
Curious about the same thing, and also the reverse… Could newer Macs/macOS require the display to have a specific iOS version, but the display doesn't support it?

Reactions: Jeven Stobs

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Wait.
Does it work with Windows 10?
If so there is absolutely no reason for it not to work with older Mac software.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Apple is growing new layers of barbed wire around their walled garden with the Mac Studio and Studio Display. Two easy words: No thanks.
great observation!
ii was just scrolling through their website and the dumb phrases they use
to entice freshmen and inspiring coders into overpaying for being "cool"
they should use:
"Outstanding Barbed-wire Enforcing the Walled Garden"
to describe their products.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

He clearly indicated he knew what the listed requirements were, but assumed that it was only for the "extra" features of the display:

I think it's quite reasonable to assume a display could at least be used as a no-frills DISPLAY with a less-than-3-years-old version of macOS. I'm surprised it can't be.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Wait.
Does it work with Windows 10?
If so there is absolutely no reason for it not to work with older Mac software.
Apparently yes... BUT... it requires you to install Boot Camp 6.1.17 which includes the driver for the Studio Display.

If you don't there are reports it works but only at 4K and with no camera.

This is extremely lame Apple. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jeven Stobs

eyabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2022
It worked normally for me on Catalina, excl. center stage. Are you sure your system is not limited somehow by your company’s “corporate policy”?
It seems to work normally, aside from no webcam or speakers. That is, until I open certain apps, mainly zoom, teams, and chrome. Then everything gets unusably sluggish and apps start crashing. But as soon as I unplug the monitor things work again. It seems to be a problem with the OS failing to identify the device type of the webcam and speakers, from what I can tell from digging through the console log. The apps I'm having problems will all happen to interact with the webcam.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
does your corporate policy allow the latest versions of zoom et al?
zoom and teams are not exactly the best behaved/bug-free applications

Reactions: polaris20

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Apparently yes... BUT... it requires you to install Boot Camp 6.1.17 which includes the driver for the Studio Display.

If you don't there are reports it works but only at 4K and with no camera.

This is extremely lame Apple. :rolleyes:
Does it work with PC running 10? If so that’d be incredible whack that it doesn’t run on Macs with older macOSs.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
Does it work with PC running 10? If so that’d be incredible whack that it doesn’t run on Macs with older macOSs.
Read the thread. The OP’s system has corporate policy restrictions that make it behave unlike the other responders with ‘normal’ catalina installs

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
i would take this list with a big grain of salt.

the ASD works great with my iPad air 4 and my partner's old(er) dell laptop with TB

did not test the webcam on either
Everything works fine on 2013 Mac Pro running current Monterey tho. Should work like a normal display on different os and it sounds like it does for the most part. Other than the webcam and the slow apps. What are the other specs on the machine I wonder.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
A monitor that requires an OS to run is pretty silly. A monitor should just do what's its told: display the image given to it. Anything more is nice but it should fail/fallback gracefully. A hard pass on that for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.