Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omairrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hi guys,
I have 2 Studio displays that I have owned for about 6 months now.
Someone recently pointed out this light bleed on them. I took a picture of both panels with max brightness running a black screen.

Is this normal for both screens?

Panel 1:
Panel 1.jpg

Panel 2:

Panel 2.jpg

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
no, this is what i would expect from a $300 1440p monitor

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
I think this is par for the course of any large IPS panel. It is probably accentuated by your camera's phone. Does it bother you in real world use? Do you really use the panel at 600 nits in a darkened room? You can't really improve on this unless you splash out double the amount (and a new pro Mac) for a Promotion mini-LED screen whenever that will show up.

Reactions: omairrr

omairrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I think this is par for the course of any large IPS panel. It is probably accentuated by your camera's phone. Does it bother you in real world use? Do you really use the panel at 600 nits in a darkened room? You can't really improve on this unless you splash out double the amount (and a new pro Mac) for a Promotion mini-LED screen whenever that will show up.

you are 100% right about the photos making it look far worse than it looks in real life.
TBH when I looked at the photos from my iPhone, it had puzzled that is it really that bad. lol
however, in real life its doesn't look as bad. There is some light bleed in the corners for sure.

So you think I shouldn't worry about it? Even at this price point ?

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
CE289B1D-9D5B-4D1B-BCB0-C12E08BB8DC3.jpeg

This is my Studio Display.

It is normal for IPS screens to have some light leakage, but your screens seem exaggerated to me.

omairrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
View attachment 2121120

This is my Studio Display.

It is normal for IPS screens to have some light leakage, but your screens seem exaggerated to me.

mine looks similar to yours but with maybe a light bit more bleed in the right corner.
the photos from my phone dont represent how it looks to the naked eye for sure. even the black screen shows up as grey in the photos. I am not Sure why.

omairrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Does it look like this to your naked eye or is it the photo? Mine doesn't look anything like this.
the photos from my phone dont represent how it looks to the naked eye for sure. even the black screen shows up as grey in the photos. I am not Sure why.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021

Because the camera app exposure at the time of the photo is slower than the eye so more light goes into the shot.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
What really matters is your own eyes and your own use. If you use a black image at 600 nits in a dark room, virtually everything will struggle. And for this budget, the skills set of the Studio Display, particularly PPI, are unmatched.

omairrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
What really matters is your own eyes and your own use. If you use a black image at 600 nits in a dark room, virtually everything will struggle. And for this budget, the skills set of the Studio Display, particularly PPI, are unmatched.
is there a way to take a better photo that can accurately show you guys what I am seeing on the display?
I dont want to call Apple care and go through any repair/exchange if this is pretty much how the technology is.

and of course it would be terrible if they send me a replacement and its still like this or maybe even worse.

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Mine looks like the OP's too... now wondering if I should open a case with Apple.

I'd rather have one like RSB96's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.