Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
One thing that really winds me up about my previous Mini and current M1 Studio Base Max: both never really go to sleep. This remains true, even with Bluetooth disabled (which is part of the problem, imo). Sure, I can get the display to turn off (after multiple attempts with some regularity) but things still happen when the computer is "unattended". It should not be that difficult in my opinion.

Some apps and web browser windows try and phone home at odd hours when I'm not using my computer. I've blocked internet access during late evening and early morning hours from my firewall appliance to resolve that issue.

I don't really want to shut down every evening... why can't macOS do the actual sleep thing as it had in the past?

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
From what I've learned, macos "sleep" behaves very differently on apple silicon M-cpu machines than it did on Intel cpu machines; it largely doesn't want to sleep, and it can take some work to make it sleep the way we might it to.

I recommend the prior various discussions about sleeping eg:

Reactions: edubfromktown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.