Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Has anyone else experienced random stuttering text tones on their iPhone? It happened for the first time about a year ago with my iPhone 7 Plus. It doesn't happen every time I get a text, but it happens often enough to make it annoying. I upgraded to the iPhone 8 Plus on launch day, and up until today it has been fantastic. The stuttering happened for the first time on my iPhone 8 Plus today. It is annoying, it almost seems like the phone is "busy" doing something when the text comes in, and has a performance issue playing back the tone. Anyone?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve noticed that as well. It happens mostly when multiple text gets delivered to the device when you share an iCloud account with other devices.

Reactions: LinkRS

avalon68

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2015
Has anyone else experienced random stuttering text tones on their iPhone? It happened for the first time about a year ago with my iPhone 7 Plus. It doesn't happen every time I get a text, but it happens often enough to make it annoying. I upgraded to the iPhone 8 Plus on launch day, and up until today it has been fantastic. The stuttering happened for the first time on my iPhone 8 Plus today. It is annoying, it almost seems like the phone is "busy" doing something when the text comes in, and has a performance issue playing back the tone. Anyone?

I have it on my 6S too. Its been there for a while - just occurs randomly. I havent really looked into it as it doesnt bother me too much. I am finding more recently though that the phone doesnt make any sound for some calls and texts......which does bother me! Was planning on upgrading, but I think Ive been priced out for now.....but it seems the 8 has the same issue anyway, so upgrading might not have solved the problem anyway.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
I’ve noticed that as well. It happens mostly when multiple text gets delivered to the device when you share an iCloud account with other devices.
Hi! I am glad to see that I am not the only one. Would you kindly elaborate on what you mean "delivered to the device when you share an iCloud account with other devices"? Do you mean, that if you have more than one device, say MBP, iPad, and iPhone connected to iCloud? Thanks!
[doublepost=1507502921][/doublepost]
I have it on my 6S too. Its been there for a while - just occurs randomly. I havent really looked into it as it doesnt bother me too much. I am finding more recently though that the phone doesnt make any sound for some calls and texts......which does bother me! Was planning on upgrading, but I think Ive been priced out for now.....but it seems the 8 has the same issue anyway, so upgrading might not have solved the problem anyway.

Similarly to what I did with my iPhone 8 Plus, I did not update my 6S Plus to iOS 10, and my first taste was with the iPhone 7 Plus. So I am now wondering if it as in issue with iOS 10+? Thanks!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Hi! I am glad to see that I am not the only one. Would you kindly elaborate on what you mean "delivered to the device when you share an iCloud account with other devices"? Do you mean, that if you have more than one device, say MBP, iPad, and iPhone connected to iCloud? Thanks!
[

Exactly that.!

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah it happens fairly often. I have multiple devices receiving texts at the same time (with the same iCloud account) and I think it sometimes gets confused.

titus5

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
California
I see this is an old post, but this is still a problem. I get this all of the time. I too have a Macbook Pro and both devices share the same iCloud account (how else would one person set up two devices?), but the tone will do this when I'm away from home (the laptop is no where near me.)

This is nothing new for me either. It started with my iPhone 6S, and on both of my 7 Pluses (owned consecutively.)

Any ideas? All devices are running the latest operating systems as of this post. I have tried turning off bluetooth on the MBP. That at least lets me get a tone (otherwise the phone will be silent mysteriously....a whole separate issue.) I'm really getting tired of the bugs. I wish Apple would take one year off making new devices and just work on software. I don't know a single person with a new iPhone (and 99% of my contacts use iPhones.)

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
I see this is an old post, but this is still a problem. I get this all of the time. I too have a Macbook Pro and both devices share the same iCloud account (how else would one person set up two devices?), but the tone will do this when I'm away from home (the laptop is no where near me.)

This is nothing new for me either. It started with my iPhone 6S, and on both of my 7 Pluses (owned consecutively.)

Any ideas? All devices are running the latest operating systems as of this post. I have tried turning off bluetooth on the MBP. That at least lets me get a tone (otherwise the phone will be silent mysteriously....a whole separate issue.) I'm really getting tired of the bugs. I wish Apple would take one year off making new devices and just work on software. I don't know a single person with a new iPhone (and 99% of my contacts use iPhones.)

Hi titus5,

I do have multiple devices on my iCloud account (MPB, iPad, AirPods, iPhone XS Max, Apple TV, and HomePod), but I don't think that is really it. I think it is some issue with the power saving features of iOS and the big.LITTLE features of the A series SOCs. The SOC enters power-saving mode, and the OS (iOS) does something takes a little too much performance for the idle state, and you get the stutter. It started on the first Apple SOCs that featured their implementation of big.LITTLE. This is all speculation on my part, but incidentally I upgraded to the iPhone Xs Max on release, and I have NOT had the stuttering on it, yet.

Rich S.

titus5

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
California
Hey thanks for the reply. What you said is going over my head but I will look into big.LITTLE a bit to check it out. I'm guessing that the iPhone Xs Max does not use big.LITTLE. Keep us posted on if it's gone forever.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Hey thanks for the reply. What you said is going over my head but I will look into big.LITTLE a bit to check it out. I'm guessing that the iPhone Xs Max does not use big.LITTLE. Keep us posted on if it's gone forever.

Hi titus5,

Sorry about the tech-speak... But the iPhone Xs and even the X series still use Apple's implementation of big.LITTLE. It just means a mixture of high-performance cores (big) and power-efficient cores (LITTLE). The OS (iOS in this case) can choose which ones to use, so that it doesn't have to burn too much battery power doing tasks that don't need the full power of the big cores. I think Apple just finally got iOS tuned with iOS 12. Have you upgrades to that, and still see it? If you do, that would seem to imply a potential firmware tweak too... :-(

Rich S.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I absolutely love the big.LITTLE theory as my iPhone 7 Plus, up until recently, was the only of my iDevices that did this. However, it is now starting to also happen on an Apple Certified Refurb'ed 64GB WiFi Only iPad mini 4 that I picked up recently. The iPhone 7 Plus is still on the last version of iOS 11, while the iPad mini 4 is on the current release of iOS 12 (12.3.1, as of this post).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.