Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
What is a good sub 200 dollar digital camera? I was looking at the Nikon L6.

Suggestions?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, Nikon does make some decent point and shoots, although they're not pretty. ;) However, all the small Nikon p&s cameras are VERY "automatic", meaning I don't believe any of them offer a lot of manual control compared to some of the competition. This may be true for all cheaper digital cameras, so it may not be exclusive to Nikon. Canon's A420 or A440 (forget the exact number, but it's A4*0 series) are also quite automatic, and have 2" LCDs. If the Nikon p&s has a larger LCD, then get it. A 2" LCD is too small. They're all around $200 anyway, I think.

Try looking at Fuji, Casio, and older Sony models that are still out there. You'll never know what you'll find on sale.

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Look at the Canon A series. They are complete including manual ISO, shutter time, aperture, whitebalance, focus settings... and of course can be used fully automatic too. They have quite good lenses producing very good image quality, they have a good software package, and all in all are quite unbeatable for what they offer.

Take for instance the A540, it is well under $200 but is quite a serious photographic tool.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a540-review/

Avoid Casio if you want good image quality... with a few exceptions, they are not the best performers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.