Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Background
I have a very strange issue - when OpenCore 0.7.8 was released I built a new EFI folder with all the new files (OpenCore and the three kexts I use) and my existing 0.7.7 config.plist (copied from my current rescueCD). I burned a new rescueCD however the CD I created wouldn't boot. When I try and boot holding down "c" I never see a boot screen - I am using an AMD RX 560 and use Opencanopy.

I reinstalled an EFI flashed NVIDIA GTX680 and confirmed that the CD does not show up in the boot picker. My 0.7.7 rescueCD does show up (and I can boot using that perfectly fine).

What Have I Tested/Done?
  1. I burned (on a CDRW) a second rescueCD which also wasn't bootable (burned in Monterey to see if I had a bad burn).
  2. I burned (on a CDRW) a rescueCD in Catalina (to see if something in the recent 12.2 or 12.2.1 was causing an issue). That CD wasn't bootable.
  3. I burned (on a CD - non RW) a rescueCD in Monterey to see if something with my CDRWs were causing an issue. That CD didn't boot.
  4. I burned a CDRWin Monterey with my working 0.7.7 files. That CD didn't boot.
  5. I burned (on a CDRW) a rescueCD in Mojave (booted without OC) to see if something in OpenCore was causing the issue since I have never created a rescueCD booting with OC 0.7.7 (the working rescueCD I have was created with OC 0.7.6). That CD didn't boot.
Current Situation
My current 0.7.7 rescueCD boots fine but I can't seem to create a new bootable rescueCD/CDRW.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Could my drive be failing? I have a LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 Blu ray burner. I checked each rescueCD and could read the files so the burns appeared to work fine.

Are there any other tests I can do or things I can try?

I am very stumped right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
sfalatko

Last edited:

paalb

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Burn a new cd with the contents of the 0.7.7 that you know works to find out if the drive is OK?

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Burn a new cd with the contents of the 0.7.7 that you know works to find out if the drive is OK?
I did try that and it wouldn't boot either - I guess I left that out of my list above. I will edit it.

I'm not sure what might have caused the drive to not be able to burn a bootable disk while leaving the disk readable.

I don't really want to buy a new drive but am even more reluctant if I don't have an explanation for the failure

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
To bring this to a closure - my issue was not putting my BOOT and OC folders in an EFI folder in the OC-CD folder so the file structure on the CD/DVDs I was burning was wrong hence they were not bootable.

Some times the answer is staring you in the face....

Reactions: cdf and paalb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.