Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
I just got my new unlocked iPhone 7 on Saturday the 4th and loved it when I set it up and using it while at work later that night. My previous phone, an iPhone 6, lasted me since I bought it on contract from AT&T in November of 2014 (so it is paid off). I have bad cases of buyer's remorse whenever I buy something for myself, even groceries sometimes, which has led me to already request a refund from Apple for the phone just because I kept thinking about my old phone (still use earbuds with the 3.5mm jack). I know both Android and iOS in terms of how to use them, but I chose the 7 because I am slightly invested in the ecosystem and Apple does have good support for devices in terms of software updates and other areas. My 6 is still a good phone, though I have changed the battery myself in it very recently.

So I am wondering if anyone has their own suggestions on why the iPhone 7 is something to be kept and see the positives that outweigh the remorse I have with it.

Reactions: Meekul

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Honestly, I still have a weird bit of buyers remorse on my 7+. My 6s was perfectly fine. I also really didn't need the better camera, more RAM, or the bigger screen honestly.

I just try to see it as a step up. What are the positives for you? For me, it's the better battery life that my 6s didn't have. It's the way future iOS versions may take better advantage of the extra RAM. The phone is black, my favorite color and it reminds me of the blue 5c I love. It's water resistant so I'm less nervous using it out in bad weather or in the bath.

You've got the regular 7 but compared to the 6, it's a really decent upgrade.

Reactions: macTW

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
It'll last you longer. Your 6 will still be a good phone next year and however many years you decide not to update it but there's going to be features in future releases that are going to either make you want a newer phone or push you into updating your 6 and slowing it down.

I say you've already spent the money. Keep the phone and get a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones. I have a pair I bought on Amazon for $30 that sound just fine.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I upgraded from the 6S+ to the 7+. A couple reasons why I did that. One, I'm on the Apple finance plan which makes it reasonable to upgrade annually. The other is the feature improvements. Namely:
  • Water resistance - no more Lifeproof cases which were turning in to crap anyway.
  • Stereo speakers. I don't use headphones like I used to because of this feature. Additionally, it's louder so I don't miss calls like I used to with the one speaker and Lifeproof case.
  • Screen improvements. I could tell the difference when I held up my 6S+ to the 7+.
  • Camera 2X optical zoom. I use the phone as my primary camera instead of my DSL because it's easier to carry. The optical zoom has been really useful.
  • Extra RAM for the OS. It's been noticeably better as I tend to leave many Safari tabs open while I'm working on something. They don't have to load like they used to. Also, app switching has been improved.
  • Higher Storage at 256 GB vs 128GB which I was getting close to.
One thing that was new to the 6S was the "front screen flash". It's vital for taking selfies in a dimly lit area. My phone was used by some women in a dark restaurant recently for their selfies because their Android phones couldn't take good pictures.

Kingofclouds

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
I have had my 7 for 4 months and I can't see myself keeping it. I really can't justify the monthly payments for what is a marginal improvement over a 6 or 6s.

I know many will argue the marginal statement but in the real world with an OS that runs so well on old hardware I think that most can go without the latest and greatest and still be comfortable with what they have.

The 7 is nice and the waterproofing and speakers are the stand out improvements. But the cost does not equal value at this point in my opinion.

Reactions: nordique

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
If your iPhone 6 works fine for you, and having the cash from the iPhone 7 returned is a bigger net positive then stick with your iPhone 6

a) the iPhone 6 is still functional and seems to meet your needs

b) you are getting an incremental upgrade going to the 7 in terms of daily usage (as another poster mentioned, currently iOS 10 runs very nicely on the iPhone 6 and going to the 7 isn't going to change your phone or messages or mail app experience)

c) You are losing out on a feature you verbalized is important to you (headphone jack)

d) I don't know where you live but in Canada you'd be putting about $1000 back in your pocket....thats a lot of dough to spend on something new, that is replacing what already works fine for you, that you've already invested in

Perhaps OP, your buyers remorse is warranted?

I say go with your gut. I had buyers remorse actually when I purchased the iPhone 6 several years ago, and I regretted not returning it. A few months later, I sold it for a lot of money but I took a loss (~150$) on it. To this day, it is a phone I wish I returned. If you get that feeling (of not feeling satisfied that all those hundreds and hundreds of dollars was well spent) then return it!

Besides, we are about halfway through the iPhone 7's life cycle....you can keep all them dollar bills for later this year when an upgrade might give you a greater return in value....and worst come worst, your iPhone 6 will still suffice beautifully.

Or, if you return it and if you change your mind again in a few weeks (in other words, you start to miss the iPhone 7)...well, you can buy it again!

Never a good idea to spend so much on something you don't see the value in. I get the vibe you don't see the value in an iPhone 7 over your current experience. That is not for me to convince you to see the value; you must judge what you hold in high regard - it will help you with being more confident in future purchases as well as future returns.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't even know why I come to this community.

You mean, you don't why you even know why Chose to comment to the community. Short answer, you chose too with a snide remark.

OP: Bottom line, if your even hesitating or questioning your overall content with the iPhone 7, then perhaps it's not for you. But it is a great iPhone with a lot of smaller features that add up.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I miss the 3.5mm jack as well but there are things you can do to alleviate that problem. Obviously there are the adapters. I also bought a case on amazon that has a 3.5mm jack built into it. The case then uses Bluetooth to get the sound to your phone so if going wired is your thing then it works. The case is made by Highever and was around $35. There is also the Fuze case that has a 3.5mm jack built into it but I would steer clear of that case as it has all kinds of problems.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I think you should just keep the phone and try to move on, but I definitely understand the mind set that you have. It's the same with me as well. I'll buy something brand new and shiny and love it for about a day but then go through this weird period of potentially a couple weeks where I just feel this horrible guilt and regret about having bought it. I'll even stop using it because I have this weird sense of guilt when I do. It's not because I couldn't afford it, it's just this weird mindset I get into. It seems to be linked with my sense of how much I paid (or overpaid) for the device, and wanting to keep it in the perfect state in which it came out of the box. But the realisation that I can't keep it perfect forever makes me feel bad.

I should probably get some help.

But it usually goes away after a couple weeks and then I really start to enjoy the device for what it is and stop worrying about having to keep every spec of dust off of it because it "cost me a fortune, it needs to be spotless forever."

Reactions: Meekul

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Honestly, I still have a weird bit of buyers remorse on my 7+. My 6s was perfectly fine. I also really didn't need the better camera, more RAM, or the bigger screen honestly.

I just try to see it as a step up. What are the positives for you? For me, it's the better battery life that my 6s didn't have. It's the way future iOS versions may take better advantage of the extra RAM. The phone is black, my favorite color and it reminds me of the blue 5c I love. It's water resistant so I'm less nervous using it out in bad weather or in the bath.

You've got the regular 7 but compared to the 6, it's a really decent upgrade.
The camera on the 7 is still trash
And the Jet Black becomes a mess after a few months, it's not the perfect mirror it was before, especially since the oleophobic wore off

I prefer to take my photos and listen to music with my 7, but my 6s is just as fine, and the reason I have no problem using the 6s as my daily driver (my iPhone 7 is being used as an iPod right now)

I know these things aren't meant to be upgraded every year, but I expected to see some sort of upgrade

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Expensive iPod! :)

On a more serious note, know why you're getting a new phone.

Just because it's the latest and greatest is not a good reason!
Very expensive
Although I'm still paying for my 6s so it's not like a waste of money

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
You do realize that all the threads here are about 1st world problems, don't you?

IOW, your comment was superfluous.

Not true. I need help with backing up data, phone won't turn on, can't get restore to work.....All problems.

Buyers remorse and a thread about it, first world problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.