Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollie Cromwell

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
London
hi everyone.

This is my first post in the photography forum. Just was wondering. Can anyone reccomend a digital compact that can shoot in RAW ( and preferably use CF cards). I am a happy D200 user but I would like to maybe get a compact to use on occasions when the D200 and all the kit is too much to lug around.

Cheers for the suggestions.

stealthninja

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
MI
if you can find these older cameras they all have the features you listed (compact size, use cf card, raw format)

Canon PowerShot S60
Canon PowerShot S70
Canon PowerShot G6
Nikon Coolpix 8400

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hi everyone.

This is my first post in the photography forum. Just was wondering. Can anyone reccomend a digital compact that can shoot in RAW ( and preferably use CF cards). I am a happy D200 user but I would like to maybe get a compact to use on occasions when the D200 and all the kit is too much to lug around.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Don't worry about re-using your CD cards. New SD cards are now so cheap it doesn't matter you can buy a 4GB card for under $20. You don't need those ultra fast cards for a point and shoot. The cameras are not that fast.

The canon G9 has been pointed out but it's not the most compact camera.

Take a look at the Leica d-lux 3. One advantage of this camera for a D200 shooter is that camera's native aspect ration is 16:9, wide like the D200 frame. Other compact camera have a nearly square 4:3 frame and you loose many of the advertised megapixels when if you crop to 3:2
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_3/

If you like this camera but don't like Leica's price Panasonic makes an nearly identical camera Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. It is the exact same camera but has (1) A rubber grip and (2) the JPEG conversion processing is tuneed by default for consummer taste while the Leica is tunned for color accuracy by default. If you shoot RAW then there is no difference except the grip

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
A few additional options:

Leica D-Lux 3
Sigma DP1

The Sigma DP1 is a bit of a specialy camera isn't it. A DSLR sized sensor with fixed 28mm (35mm equiv) lens. great idea dslr quality in a shirt pocket.

As long as we are talking about "specialy cameras" why not look at the Leica M8. It gives quality maybe better then the Nikon DSLR and is compact but not cheap.
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Yeah, it is. It also has a DSLR street price of $800. Still not a bad pocket camera - if you want to shell out the money for it.

The Leica lineup is just something else. I've been looking at the D-Lux 3 for awhile now, but can't justify spending $600 on a compact camera when I have an iPhone as my "fun" camera.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
For those who find the D-Lux3 too pricey, the Lumix DMC-LX2 is very much the same camera apart from less stunning in-camera JPEGs (the OP did ask about RAW) and a somewhat less attractive package. Still, a great camera. I have gotten some real winners with my D-Lux3. Great glass on these little cameras.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
I've been looking at the D-Lux 3 for awhile now, but can't justify spending $600 on a compact camera when I have an iPhone as my "fun" camera.

Edit: Slap forehead "duh". Apple has a web page that lists all of the supported RAW camera. Would be good to choose from that list.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html
there is a very short list of supported compact cameras Basically just the Leica and Panasonics, the G9 and some discontinued Olympus Canon models. Nothing that is not already on this thread really.

The Panasonic version really is identical to the Leica and B&H sells it for $360.
B&H also has a used LX1 for $209. This is the 8MP version of the LX2

I'm looking to replace a Canon A80 but I need two features (1) raw file format and (2) an available waterproof housing. This means the Canon D9, I think. If you don't need a housing the $360 Panasonic is not bad.

One other thing I'm looking at is buying a used Olympus C-8080. It shoots raw, has a very high quality lens 8 megapixels. But is discontinued. You can find them used for $300 to $250. Water proof housings were made by a couple companies

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Have you considered the new Olympus e-420 with pancake kit lens? $700 for the pair gets you the world's smallest DSLR and one fun and tiny lens (with the added benefit of being able to use a different lens when the need arises).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.