Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I was wondering if anyone knew of any opportunities where you can "shadow" a photographer for a summer. I am currently in high school and would love to find some sort of apprenticeship sort of "job" for this up coming summer. I have already talked to the local newspaper and they said that they don't do this sort of thing. Where else might I look to find people that might be willing to allow me to follow them around for a summer. This is by no means a payed job, but just one that would allow me to get my foot in the door and see what it would be like to be a full time photographer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think it would be most worth your time to apprentice with a photographer whose work you admire. So first find someone in your area who is doing something you think is exciting. You might look online or in the phone book, or check with the local chamber of commerce (and then look online at the photographers' websites) or check to see if any local fine arts photographers are exhibiting at the moment. Then craft a very professional letter, stating what it is you like about a particular photographer's work and that you are looking for an unpaid internship. If you make it personal like that (showing you are familiar with the photographer's work), you'll stand a better chance of getting someone to take you on board for the summer. You'll also avoid wasting your time with someone who won't inspire you very much.

Best of luck to you. :)

Stevo B

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
One idea would be to find a photo club in your area. Search flickr groups, google, and bing for them. I live in rural Alabama and still was able to find two clubs that have regular get togethers, photowalks, and model shoots. I've been able to make contacts with full time pros, freelancers, and hobbyists there. Or just search google for "your area + photographer". Look through some of the local pros and find some who have good work and styles you like and make some contacts. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.