Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Just found a nifty little app on the app store (Sunrise). Based on your current location, it tells you the time of sunrise and sunset. Default is for the current day, but you can change it to dates in the future. Unfortunately it only works for your current location (no option to select other locations).

For $0.99 it should be quite convenient when planning early morning/late evening shooting.

ChrisAtlanta

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just found a nifty little app on the app store (Sunrise). Based on your current location, it tells you the time of sunrise and sunset. Default is for the current day, but you can change it to dates in the future. Unfortunately it only works for your current location (no option to select other locations).

Kallisti,

I'm actually the developer of that app (as well as PhotoCalc, another app for photographers), and I'm about to submit version 1.1 of Sunrise to Apple, which will let you pick your location from a global database (which is stored locally, so the app can be used by iPod touch users with no WiFi access), as well as the current option of using the current location. I've also added current phase of the moon, and have a few other things in the works that should be useful for photographers :)

Thanks for the shout-out!

Chris

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
As an owner of an iPod Touch I can't wait for version 1.1. However, I would love to know if it is possible to use zip codes over wifi to get sunrise/set data? As someone who does a little traveling this feature would be killer.

JohnMC

ChrisAtlanta

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Atlanta, GA
As an owner of an iPod Touch I can't wait for version 1.1. However, I would love to know if it is possible to use zip codes over wifi to get sunrise/set data? As someone who does a little traveling this feature would be killer.

John,

The new version won't use zip codes, it'll let you choose from region > country > state/province/etc > city. It will have a global database. To keep the size down, I've tried to limit it to major cities, but if there's any cities that don't show up that you'd like to see in there, let me know, and I'll add them to the next version (though I can't imagine the time will vary that much between cities in the same state).

Chris

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...it'll let you choose from region > country > state/province/etc > city. It will have a global database....

Why not simply let the user enter the latitude, longitude and elevation of the desired location directly? Yes, it's good to have a database of geographic locations as many people would not know the lat, lon.

theenigmat

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
Great App. I don't have an iPhone but the concept sounds like something a photographer could definitely use. Might I suggest adding moonrise/moonset times to the app as well as many photographers like to know when these occur for photo ops. (It would also help if you suspected one of your mates to be a werewolf)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
All great ideas guys. But the price just went to $39.95 and it went to from 200 kilobytes to 3.6 gigabytes.

Enjoy...:)

ChrisAtlanta

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Why not simply let the user enter the latitude, longitude and elevation of the desired location directly? Yes, it's good to have a database of geographic locations as many people would not know the lat, lon.

That's coming in the next version, for folks who are going to places well away from any city that might be in the database.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hey I was going to jump in and mention that PhotoCalc has the sunrise function built in as well - I didn't know it was the same developer though. :D

PhotoCalc costs a few bucks more; but it has a LOT of useful photographer tools (hyperfocal distance, depth of field calculator, flash exposure tool). Thanks for developing it, ChrisAtlanta!

ChrisAtlanta

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey I was going to jump in and mention that PhotoCalc has the sunrise function built in as well - I didn't know it was the same developer though. :D

PhotoCalc costs a few bucks more; but it has a LOT of useful photographer tools (hyperfocal distance, depth of field calculator, flash exposure tool). Thanks for developing it, ChrisAtlanta!

Well thank you for the kind words :) indeed, if the functionality of PhotoCalc is useful, it's a pretty good deal I think!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.