Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I reluctantly accepted to shoot an event my cousin was putting on. It's a fashion show, quite a big one too (about 80-100 models, catwalk...) hence why I'm a little nervous! But I'm also a quite excited about the chance to really do a good job and have a great night.

I have an EOS 350D, standard 18-55mm lens. Oh, and a tripod. I know the super basic ins and outs of digital photography like white balance, metering etc.

Any tips for a fashion shoot? Or a helpful site perhaps? The event is on Wednesday :eek:

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
With your lens, you are going to have to be close. Like, right up next to or near the stage. Do you have an external flash unit? Or just those three things you mentioned?

A fashion show is pretty high speed and you will also need a decent amount of memory. See if you can get a few test shots in to get yourself set for the lighting environment.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Apparently it will be well lit, and from various parties in the past I've learnt how to take pictures in not-so perfect lighting.
Thinking about stopping by a friends place tomorrow, he's a pro and if I beg and cry might get to borrow one of his flashes or proper lenses.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
They always have rehersals for fashion shows, see if you can go to one so that you can see if any errors will arise. This way you can fix them before it's to late. Also, with that lens, make sure to tell your friend that you need to be right up close to all the models (lucky guy ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.