Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I went to remove my superdrive from my Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro today and I noticed some star shaped screws. The tutorials I watched said phillips screws but there were two screws connected to the superdrive that were star shaped. I tried seeing if the screw driver for the bottom of an iPhone 4 worked but it didn't.

What kind of screws are these?
Where can I get a screw driver for these?
(I dont know what they are called so I couldn't find a screw driver on amazon.)

Last edited:

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
As far as I know, the two screws between the chassis and the drive are actually silver coloured philips heads. In the off chance that this is a special case, and since you've tried the pentalobe driver of the iPhone screws, those screws would most likely be torx (T6 or T5) screws. These drivers are easy to find. To confirm, try to count the number of spikes on the star shape. If there are 6 spikes, it's torx.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

UPDATE: Also, don't bother with video guides; those can be quite confusing. Stick to iFixit. They should also have guides specific to your model, so they will guide you to the right drivers.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
As far as I know, the two screws between the chassis and the drive are actually silver coloured philips heads. In the off chance that this is a special case, and since you've tried the pentalobe driver of the iPhone screws, those screws would most likely be torx (T6 or T5) screws. These drivers are easy to find. To confirm, try to count the number of spikes on the star shape. If there are 6 spikes, it's torx.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

UPDATE: Also, don't bother with video guides; those can be quite confusing. Stick to iFixit. They should also have guides specific to your model, so they will guide you to the right drivers.

Ok thanks Ill check that out! :)

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

Just ordered these, this is what you were talking about right?

http://www.amazon.com/Screwdriver-O...=1381848585&sr=8-3&keywords=t5+t6+screwdriver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.