Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Engender

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
I also just got my rMBP back from Apple after having it's screen replaced under the staingate program. Anyone else see increased fan usage under normal usage, including web browsing and document production?

zyser

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2016
Ever since I upgraded to El Capitan, the fan on my rMBP 2012 runs at max the moment I do some web surfing with Chrome or Safari, or check the Photos app. Quite annoying it makes my rMBP feel dated, but it shouldn't.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Ever since I upgraded to El Capitan, the fan on my rMBP 2012 runs at max the moment I do some web surfing with Chrome or Safari, or check the Photos app. Quite annoying it makes my rMBP feel dated, but it shouldn't.

Did you try a SMC reset?

zyser

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2016
Did you try a SMC reset?

Yes I did, tried a SMC a few times. Also re-installed El Captitan but didn't make a difference. Just wish I knew what went wrong. I also uninstalled Norton Security, but that was not the cause. Nothing shows up on the Activity Monitor slowing down the CPU.

Engender

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
It stopped. My fans are running at 2k RPM again instead of 5k. I thought about indexing, xgman, but I checked the Activity Monitor and my processors were at 98% idle. I'm glad it's gone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.