Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Since the service became available, I've heard of people getting refused the $29 battery replacement at Apple Stores.

Given this, could anyone who's tried/failed/succeeded reply to this thread with their experience. Try to keep input as minimal as possible, and avoid chat - link to another thread if you need to vent!

If you're not been to the store yet, check here to find out how to read the capacity of your current battery: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/12/22/check-iphone-ipad-battery-health/

Please post a new reply below in the following format:

iPhone model: 6/6 plus/6s/6s plus/7/7 plus
Location of service: Apple Store name, authorized service dealer etc.
Old Battery Capacity: "Design capacity", as seen via CoconutBattery. Leave blank if you didn't check.
Old Battery Cycles: "Cycle Count", as seen via CoconutBattery. Leave blank if you didn't check.
Did they replace the battery? Y/N
Reason they gave if they did not replace:
New Battery Capacity:
As above, except after the replacement has taken place.
New Battery Cycles: As above, check if the replacement battery is new or a lemon!
Comment: anything else you wish to say...

Reactions: Bclawson

acucons

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
iPhone model: 6
Location of service: Apple Store World trade Center, NYC
Old Battery Capacity:
Old Battery Cycles:
Did they replace the battery?
N
Reason they gave if they did not replace: Battery qualified for replacement, but out of stock even though I had appt.
New Battery Capacity: As above, except after the replacement has taken place.
New Battery Cycles: As above, check if the replacement battery is new or a lemon!
Comment: Pissed OFF!!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is all very new so my guess is some stores and Apple reps are not 100% up to date with the new standards. So they still go by what they were doing before for years.
Many times us here know a lot more than the so called "Apple geniuses" do.
You will have the initial surge of everyone trying to get their battery switched and most stores won't have enough or any batteries in stock or will be crazy backed up with appointments.
My plan is to hold off for 2-3 months till the process falls in line and initial kinks and stock is adequate.
We have till the end of 2018 to get our batteries replaced for $29 so unless you have an immediate need I suggest to hold off for a while. We might even get them completely free down the road depending on the class action lawsuits;)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Once they made it so you could NOT go back to the previous version of the IOS alarms went off saying something was up at Apple. If people could roll back to the previous version "not sure what number it was" you would probably not need a new battery .

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
iPhone model: 6s plus
Location of service: Apple Store Berlin, Kurfürstendamm
Old Battery Capacity: 80.3%
Old Battery Cycles: 535
Did they replace the battery? Y
Reason they gave if they did not replace: N/A
New Battery Capacity: 100%, 2750mAH
New Battery Cycles: 0
Comment:
  • The process took 4 hours from handing in the phone to receiving the email telling me it was ready for pick-up.
  • The Apple assistant performed a diagnostic test on the phone, and still gave a reason of >500 cycles to justify battery replacement even though I’ve read that the operation should be performed without constraints.
  • I’ve subsequently discovered that vibration functionality has been knocked out during the replacement (both haptic feedback and silent ring), so I’ll have to return to get that resolved.
  • The repair comes with a 3-month warranty.
  • From my initial use of the phone after charging, I’m certainly noticing a great improvement in battery performance. This was the main reason I wanted the replacement, as I have not otherwise been experiencing any measurable slowdown in my phone’s performance.
49A9F942-4D9A-4A52-8F32-C83DDD7951B8.jpeg

jod1921

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I tried yesterday to get my battery replaced on a 6 plus. I had a genius bar 335 appointment that was made 5 days earlier. It took 6 calls and 16 minutes on hold to get someone to answer at the store. I called 2 hours before my appointment to confirm they had a battery for my appointment and was told they did but couldn’t guarantee the would still have them when i got there. After arriviing at the store i was sat at a table and asked what my appointment involved. I informed them i was there for a new battery because my cpu was not running up to speed. My benchmark 4 single core speeds are in the 1300 range when fully charged and drop in the 800’s at 55 percent charge or less. Fifteen minutes later a guy comes to help me and does abattery test and informs me they dont have any batteries. My email from apple contains this.

Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Customer states that their device is running slowly.
Steps to Reproduce: The device is just about to cross over the consumed line.
Cosmetic Condition: No damage to the display or the enclosure, no water damage. Buttons and ports are functional
Proposed Resolution: Battery repair for $29 ordering new battery for customer.

Its 55 miles to the store from my house. Today i returned to the store and returned my x for refund. Im just a little pissed.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I tried yesterday to get my battery replaced on a 6 plus. I had a genius bar 335 appointment that was made 5 days earlier. It took 6 calls and 16 minutes on hold to get someone to answer at the store. I called 2 hours before my appointment to confirm they had a battery for my appointment and was told they did but couldn’t guarantee the would still have them when i got there. After arriviing at the store i was sat at a table and asked what my appointment involved. I informed them i was there for a new battery because my cpu was not running up to speed. My benchmark 4 single core speeds are in the 1300 range when fully charged and drop in the 800’s at 55 percent charge or less. Fifteen minutes later a guy comes to help me and does abattery test and informs me they dont have any batteries. My email from apple contains this.

Cosmetic Condition: No damage to the display or the enclosure, no water damage. Buttons and ports are functional

Its 55 miles to the store from my house. Today i returned to the store and returned my x for refund. Im just a little pissed.

If you don't get pissed in directly at them they will not get the message. Your return did not phase them at all.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
iPhone model: 6s plus
Location of service: Apple Store Berlin, Kurfürstendamm
Old Battery Capacity: 80.3%
Old Battery Cycles: 535
Did they replace the battery? Y
Reason they gave if they did not replace: N/A
New Battery Capacity: 100%, 2750mAH
New Battery Cycles: 0
Comment:
  • The process took 4 hours from handing in the phone to receiving the email telling me it was ready for pick-up.
  • The Apple assistant performed a diagnostic test on the phone, and still gave a reason of >500 cycles to justify battery replacement even though I’ve read that the operation should be performed without constraints.
  • I’ve subsequently discovered that vibration functionality has been knocked out during the replacement (both haptic feedback and silent ring), so I’ll have to return to get that resolved.
  • The repair comes with a 3-month warranty.
  • From my initial use of the phone after charging, I’m certainly noticing a great improvement in battery performance. This was the main reason I wanted the replacement, as I have not otherwise been experiencing any measurable slowdown in my phone’s performance.
View attachment 745412
How much did u pay?

The German Apple site still lists 89€
https://support.apple.com/de-de/iphone/repair/battery-power

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014

Good for you!

Reactions: 5105973

Luigi_S

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2017
Any U.K. store experience? I have my appointment in the morning- I hope they have a battery in stock... I may purchase a X- Shock horror :p

Loono

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
U.K. send-in experience so far.
I haven't posted on this forum for years but feel the need to because their customer service has gotten worse.
I requested to replace my iPhone 6 battery as the phone didn't give accurate battery percentage (battery percentage drains too fast then slows down when on a low percentage. I have tried recalibration many times).
I chose to use the send-in service as I don't live near an Apple Store. They sent a small box to send the phone to Czech Republic. It only took one day for them to receive it.
When they did, they put my the repair service on hold because apparently the LCD is damaged and asking to pay another £113 + tax to fix my phone or to return the phone back to me. My iPhone was in excellent condition with no external damage. I even left my tempered glass on when I sent it. The only image they posted was a bad quality photo of the back of my iPhone (aluminium back) which is odd.
I phoned Apple support on Friday night and they implied that my phone screen was already cracked already? wtf...
They couldn't even look into the repair case and told me they call me back the next day. The next day they didn't so I called them and they said that the repair team doesn't work weekends so they will call me back on Monday. Then the agent phoned me again saying that it would take another two working days to investigate.
So I am waiting until Wednesday for a call back from the repair team which is ridiculous as I am using an on iPhone 4S.

In hindsight don't use the send-in repair. It seems something fishy with their repair centre...
If you do, take photos of your phone or video of you packing the phone in the box to prove that the phone was in excellent condition.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
U.K. send-in experience so far.
I haven't posted on this forum for years but feel the need to because their customer service has gotten worse.
I requested to replace my iPhone 6 battery as the phone didn't give accurate battery percentage (battery percentage drains too fast then slows down when on a low percentage. I have tried recalibration many times).
I chose to use the send-in service as I don't live near an Apple Store. They sent a small box to send the phone to Czech Republic. It only took one day for them to receive it.
When they did, they put my the repair service on hold because apparently the LCD is damaged and asking to pay another £113 + tax to fix my phone or to return the phone back to me. My iPhone was in excellent condition with no external damage. I even left my tempered glass on when I sent it. The only image they posted was a bad quality photo of the back of my iPhone (aluminium back) which is odd.
I phoned Apple support on Friday night and they implied that my phone screen was already cracked already? wtf...
They couldn't even look into the repair case and told me they call me back the next day. The next day they didn't so I called them and they said that the repair team doesn't work weekends so they will call me back on Monday. Then the agent phoned me again saying that it would take another two working days to investigate.
So I am waiting until Wednesday for a call back from the repair team which is ridiculous as I am using an on iPhone 4S.

In hindsight don't use the send-in repair. It seems something fishy with their repair centre...
If you do, take photos of your phone or video of you packing the phone in the box to prove that the phone was in excellent condition.

It's sad a company that basically prints money pulls such stunts. Shame on them!

43 degrees north

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2018
New England
Spent hours on phone/chat/store - OUT OF STOCK - it will be several weeks.

Location of service: South Portland Maine
Old Battery Capacity: Apple tested and agrees to $29 replacement - but out of stock.
Old Battery Cycles:
Did they replace the battery? On several weekbackorder after waiting in line for appointment, 2 hours, then told out of stock
Reason they gave if they did not replace: On order.
New Battery Capacity:

New Battery Cycles:
Comment: My take is that Apple is in early stages of recognizing this Tsunami - hopefully better organized in a week or so.
Have sent detailed complaint to Apple regarding inablity/failure to check inventory before making appointment by any means: chat/phone or in store.

Reactions: 5105973

Luigi_S

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2017
I have just returned from getting the battery replaced on my iPhone 6.

I turnt up at the Milton Keynes U.K. Apple store, told the Apple assistant I had battery problems- without even testing he said they would replace the battery. 1 hour later my phone was done.
I must admit I did have another play with the X- I’m so tempted it’s a beautiful bit of kit, 3 people purchased the phone while I was there but I get the feeling after having a talk to the member of staff that interest is still high as ever but actual sales arnt great.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Spent hours on phone/chat/store - OUT OF STOCK - it will be several weeks.

Location of service: South Portland Maine
Old Battery Capacity: Apple tested and agrees to $29 replacement - but out of stock.
Old Battery Cycles:
Did they replace the battery?
On several weekbackorder after waiting in line for appointment, 2 hours, then told out of stock
Reason they gave if they did not replace: On order.
New Battery Capacity:
New Battery Cycles:
Comment:
My take is that Apple is in early stages of recognizing this Tsunami - hopefully better organized in a week or so.
Have sent detailed complaint to Apple regarding inablity/failure to check inventory before making appointment by any means: chat/phone or in store.

Tim the Supply-Chain Whisperer, at it again.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Posted this on another thread:
My wife’s iPhone 6 has become useless. Battery goes from 100% to below 20% within minutes after taking it from the charger. She took it to the Apple store back in December and was told battery was OK and she should reinstall iOS. She did but battery issue remained. When Apple announced they would replace batteries for $29 she immediately tried to book an appointment but the first one available was today. Today she left her work and drove 35 minutes to the Apple store for her appointment only to be informed that no stores in our area have batteries available and she will get a call from them in about 10 days when they expect to get more batteries in. The Apple guy at the store told her “everyone is replacing their batteries”.

You make a customer waste over an hour of its working day driving to an appointment that you knew would not happen. Why call in 10 days when the battery arrives and not call in advance to cancel the appointment today?

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
My iPhone 6 battery replacement to 3 days to get in - they said it would be a week.

exumdirect

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013

Almost the exact situation but even worse. I went three times with appointments. I was told that they had my battery when they called for me to come in. The first time they said...."oh sorry...we don't have your battery", the next time they said that they did but it would be 4 hours to replace. What is the point of an appointment and why to you call me telling me to come in when the wait is 4 hours. Then the guy tells me that the message in the email that they may release the battery if I don't arrive that day to pick it up....is not true...."we wouldn't release your battery" he says with a straight face. I have an idea. Order my battery, schedule a time slot for the replacement, call me and tell me that time. I arrive and you replace my battery.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Order my battery, schedule a time slot for the replacement, call me and tell me that time. I arrive and you replace my battery.
I don't think it works like that. When you hand over your phone they don't immediately work on it, it gets taken to the back office/workshop and placed in a queue with everyone else's devices.

Given the number of people handing phones in for the battery replacement (and also other issues cracked screens etc.), it will take time to clear the queue.

It's also apparent to me that possibly due to the "chaos", quality control after the fix isn't what it should be as my phone was handed back to me with the vibration/haptic feedback functionality not working (I didn't notice until later...).

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
My iPhone 6 battery replacement to 3 days to get in - they said it would be a week.

Yesterday I went in to get the battery replaced - took me right away, said it would be ready in 75 minutes, I went back, phone was ready! I tested Touch ID, and haptic feedback before I left the store to make sure all looked good, phone was perfect. I ran coconut battery when I got home, 0 cycles, 100% max charge potential. All good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.