Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your main browser on macOS Big Sur?

• Safari

• Google Chrome

• Mozilla Firefox

• Brave

• Opera

• Microsoft Edge

• Vivaldi

• Puffin

• Avast Secure Browser

• Stainless

• Torch Browser

• Tor Browser

• All Others, please comment.

• Don't care/no vote

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Fell free to comment your reasons, and how flexible you are at switching.

Does ad blockers such as the uBlock Origin and paid free extensions in Safari such as the Dark Reader play a role here?

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Chrome, for two main reasons: 1) I'm pretty heavily invested in the ecosystem: calendar, contacts, keep, etc. (and the Apple apps just aren't nearly as good), and 2) Safari (at least on my computer) is slower than Chrome, and it doesn't sync as well.

Reactions: 0924487

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Firefox
- Wide range of Addons
- About:Config
- Would rather support Mozilla than support Google
- Safari has horrible addon options and support
- Been using since 0.8/0.9. While I've tried many different browsers over the years. I keep coming back to Firefox. None of them ever seem as good.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Firefox
- Wide range of Addons
- About:Config
- Would rather support Mozilla than support Google
- Safari has horrible addon options and support
- Been using since 0.8/0.9. While I've tried many different browsers over the years. I keep coming back to Firefox. None of them ever seem as good.

Like you, I also use Firefox, but it's not my "daily driver". The browser I use least is Safari; the only advantage Safari has is "Reader View" which is something I wish Chrome would adopt.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Like you, I also use Firefox, but it's not my "daily driver". The browser I use least is Safari; the only advantage Safari has is "Reader View" which is something I wish Chrome would adopt.
Google is first and foremost an Ad company, they want you to see the floating mess and indented inserts. Firefox does have a reader view, but it is not as good and it doesn’t support pinch-to-zoom in the reader. I feel the scrolling and zooming animations and physics are best in Safari. No other browsers care about it as much.

Also, Safari extensions are just broken.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Does Firefox Sync work for Safari on iOS and iPadOS? I thought it's only available in the Firefox app.
It works with Firefox Mac to sync with iOS Firefox apps - not Safari

But I have all my book marks and login's syncing (Firefox and Safari) with BookMaster on my Mojave MBP (Master) to Monterey MBP and IPad-Pro and iPhone 8 - took a while to figure it out - but it works great

I don't use Safari much so it's nice to have the same Bookmarks identical

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
It works with Firefox Mac to sync with iOS Firefox apps - not Safari

But I have all my book marks and login's syncing (Firefox and Safari) with BookMaster on my Mojave MBP (Master) to Monterey MBP and IPad-Pro and iPhone 8 - took a while to figure it out - but it works great

I don't use Safari much so it's nice to have the same Bookmarks identical
How do you solve the problem of Firefox on iOS an iPadOS not being able to use an ad blocker like AdGuard? The native ad and tracker blocking is very weak, even when it works, it leaves white spaces.

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Brave. Battery friendly, built-in adblocker and chromium engine. Safari is just not working well or is slow on many websites

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
I guess the sample on this forum may not be illustrative of the general public. It's a selection bias to be taken into consideration. Sample mean is not equal to population mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.