Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan700

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
I am starting to have issues with my 13" MBP screen turning off randomly. Sometimes infrequently but sometimes very frequently while my computer is charging. Mine is the mid 2012 model. So after researching a bit about this I decided I would buy a new 13" and swap the hard drives (I installed a 1 TB SSD in this one) and swap the memory too. Can I just put the SSD from my old computer into the new one? They're both spec'd the same. Also if there is no problem doing this could I do it with a 15" MBP - if I can find one. I'd love the extra screen real estate.

Ryan700

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
Hardware swap done. Little bit scary since I forgot to disconnect the battery on the old computer before I unplugged the SSD. Also noticed the Superdrive in the new computer was different so was a little worried starting up my new computer with the SSD and the different SD having issues. All done without a hitch - both computers are working and I have a very happy niece who has my old computer with basically a new hard drive and new ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.