Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
My kids share an iPad Mini that's tied to my Apple ID (and shares my iCloud account). Now between that and 3 other devices tied to my Apple ID, I'm running out of iCloud space and and I really don't want to pay for more.

The iPad is full of games and videos purchased/downloaded on either my account or my wife's.

Is it possible for me to create a new Apple ID for them (using an alt email address), then add it to my Family Sharing account? Then wipe the iPad clean, and set it up with that new Apple ID? I know I won't be able to restore it from a previous backup, so I'd have to re-download all their games and videos. Not a big deal.

This way that device will have a clean Apple ID and a full 5GB of iCloud space to backup.

See any flaws in this plan?

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
You can set up accounts for kids under family sharing. No need to wipeout the iPad, just login with kid's account to icloud on those devices...

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
so i can just create a new apple ID on the device, sign in with it, and keep all the data intact?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.