Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I'm considering switching from being a desktop user to just using an iPad Pro 12.9 . Anyone done this?

All I do is use pages, surf the net, watch videos and play games. Seems like Apple and developers more interested in IOS.

Probably going to sell my 2012 Mac mini and use funds to get the latest iPad Pro during its next update

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I tend to agree with Vert above.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
Do you use the finder much?
Do you normally use a lot of folders to organize your work?
You realize you will have no "filing system" on an iPad, no "finder"?
Do you type much?

If you're on a Mac desktop right now, have you thought about a MacBook instead?
A MacBook Air isn't much larger/heavier than a full-sized iPad, but offers a keyboard and the Mac OS.

I'd suggest a MacBook Pro 13", either the 2016 or 2015 models (try BOTH before buying).

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I tend to agree with Vert above.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
Do you use the finder much?
Do you normally use a lot of folders to organize your work?
You realize you will have no "filing system" on an iPad, no "finder"?
Do you type much?

If you're on a Mac desktop right now, have you thought about a MacBook instead?
A MacBook Air isn't much larger/heavier than a full-sized iPad, but offers a keyboard and the Mac OS.

I'd suggest a MacBook Pro 13", either the 2016 or 2015 models (try BOTH before buying).

Actually the filing system is no problem . All my Mac mini files are now stored in my iCloud Drive . Yesterday I even opened up a pages file in the cloud on my iPhone , made some corrections and saved it.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
For basic computer use, I would say an iPad is the perfect complimentary device. I recently used solely an iPad on a business trip for a few days and it was fine but I wouldn't want to rely on it completely all the time.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Plus if I need a bigger screen, I can connect the iPad to a tv via hdmi cable , maybe even Apple TV . I'm convinced I can live with just an iPad now I just want them updated

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The inability to access the file system and the poor multi tasking capabilities makes it a deal breaker for myself. Highly recommend against this. Having two separate devices can be a saviour if one crashes. If you could Remote Desktop on the tablet I'd say go for it

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I totally agree with all of the responses that you have received so far.

and here is mine…………………..

You asked what people thought and most everyone is recommending against this action, but you seem determined to do it anyway. That is your prerogative, here are my thoughts.

I have used my iPad when I have travelled as I did not want to take my MBP with me. In all cases I can say that it worked for me and fulfilled my needs to get done what I wanted. BUT, it was without a doubt very cumbersome, time consuming and frustrating (at times) and not something I would want to do on a daily basis.

Yes, you can do it and make it work, but compared to working on a MBP or a desktop I find it rather limiting.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear back from you on how this is working 6 months from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.