Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
I have been playing with a Mac Mini for about a year and recently decided to switch to the Mac full time. I am typing this on my shiny new Mac Pro that just arrived today. One of the things I need to get set up is a photo editing program. I currently have Photoshop CS2 for the PC and understand that I can get a cross platform upgrade from Adobe for cheap. I have been hearing good things about Aperture and wonder if I should give it a try. I'm not a pro, but would call myself an advanced hobbyist. I've shot about 10k pictures in the past 4-5 years on a Digital Rebel and my current 20D, almost all in RAW format. So is it worth dropping money on Aperture or should I just stick with Photoshop. What do you veteran Mac photo wizards think?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I don't think you can compare the two, since one is an image editing app and the other excels at cataloging and organizing. Get both?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Didn't the new update to 1.5 add some more enhanced editing capabilities? Forgive my ignorance, I am a Mac novice here!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
richpjr said:
Didn't the new update to 1.5 add some more enhanced editing capabilities? Forgive my ignorance, I am a Mac novice here!

They updated Aperture in many ways but I don't see a reason to exclude one or the other. If you need to work with other types of files in a lot of different formats, Photoshop is extremely convenient. If applications like Aperture replaced Photoshop, Adobe wouldn't be offering Lightroom alongside Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.