Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jace127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Hi guys, i am currently waiting for my custom built iMac 5k 27" with the following specs

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz
AMD Radeon R9 M390 - 2048 MB, Core: 958 MHz, Memory: 1365 MHz, GDDR5 VGA
8192 MB Ram
Apple Fusion Drive 1TB (24 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD), 1024 GB

I mostly will be doing Photoshop editing, After effects, Illustrator and some gaming mostly World of Warcraft and maybe try the latest games, Is it worth it? i'm new to Mac just need a change and hopefully this will be a good one! Thanks.

NewtonPippin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
You should cancel your order and upgrade to at least a 2GB fusion so you get 128GB of SSD. Also i'd upgrade to the high end graphics card, and then buy 32 or 64GB of ram from Crucial. If you wanted to future proof it further, the 1TB SSD would be ideal!

Reactions: thasan

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
You've got yourself a good system there. The RAM is easily upgraded down the road. The 2 TB fusion drive is a better deal than the 1 TB drive. It contains a much larger SSD which will help with load times on your frequently used apps.

My dual-core i5 an HD 4000 has no issue with WoW on my Mac mini so that quad-core CPU and Radeon GPU will eat WoW for breakfast.

jace127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
You've got yourself a good system there. The RAM is easily upgraded down the road. The 2 TB fusion drive is a better deal than the 1 TB drive. It contains a much larger SSD which will help with load times on your frequently used apps.

My dual-core i5 an HD 4000 has no issue with WoW on my Mac mini so that quad-core CPU and Radeon GPU will eat WoW for breakfast.
Thanks! i will try and make changes to my order today maybe they'll let me upgrade it to 2b fd. The thing is i ordered it on 16th december and told me the estimated delivery will take 5-6 weeks and I'm not sure if its possible now to make any changes

NewtonPippin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
Well even if you can't make changes that'll still be a fantastic machine! But if you can i'd try to at least do the 2TB fusion. Let us know how it goes!

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden

You should, but it could result in the order being cancelled and a new one being made.
I believe Apple has a 14 day return policy (no questions asked) everywhere in the world, so changing the order before it has been delivered shouldn't be a problem, but you could be faced with a situation where they cancel your current order and use the credit from that as part payment for your new one and charge you the extra for the 2TB drive seperately. They did this for me when I changed my order once.

jace127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Hey guys just to let you know, apparently there was a mistake in my order and had to re order again. This time i upgraded to a 2tb fusion drive and an amd 395 for just a 300 eu extra fee! just have to wait 5 more weeks now but its worth waiting :):):)

Reactions: bogg

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

It sort of depends on the resolution and settings. He won't be playing wow at 5k with optimal settings.

That all said, before I throw 3k at an iMac, you could spend 3k at dell.com on an alienware 52 with Titan video card (or other systems at that price). And grab a 27" 4k monitor if you don't have one already. If you're into high resolution gaming, I don't think changing to an imac is a great solution.

I get the appeal of the 5k imac. Definitely try it out and see if it works for you.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
It sort of depends on the resolution and settings. He won't be playing wow at 5k with optimal settings.

That all said, before I throw 3k at an iMac, you could spend 3k at dell.com on an alienware 52 with Titan video card (or other systems at that price). And grab a 27" 4k monitor if you don't have one already. If you're into high resolution gaming, I don't think changing to an imac is a great solution.

I get the appeal of the 5k imac. Definitely try it out and see if it works for you.

Gaming comes in third place on his list... I guess he'll be ok with the iMac.
As for WoW the difference in image quality between having all the option maxed or being in the middle of the scale are negligible at best and won't detract from enjoing the game. It is an old engine after all.

jace127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Gaming comes in third place on his list... I guess he'll be ok with the iMac.
As for WoW the difference in image quality between having all the option maxed or being in the middle of the scale are negligible at best and won't detract from enjoing the game. It is an old engine after all.

I don't really play that much, i have a PS4 for gaming mostly. I honestly want to try something new and am a bit fed up of using windows literally, i use it 24/7 at work and at home so a change will do good :p

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
3rd party items you should consider down the road

Increase your RAM as Adobe products do love RAM.
Consider a good monitor "soft" calibration kit for creating proper profiles.
External USB3 and/or TB SSD drives. Arbitrating a 2nd drive for scratch space works well.
Graphic tools such as Wacom Intuos.

jace127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
3rd party items you should consider down the road

Increase your RAM as Adobe products do love RAM.
Consider a good monitor "soft" calibration kit for creating proper profiles.
External USB3 and/or TB SSD drives. Arbitrating a 2nd drive for scratch space works well.
Graphic tools such as Wacom Intuos.

As for the ram, will definitely add another 16gb ram probably a corsair ( never had any issues with them ) and for the other suggestions i will take them into consideration especially the Wacom intuos.. its like you read my mind!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.