Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtheatre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Hello!

I'm trying to play world of warcraft on my 2011 iMac 12,2 and apparently the game is using Intel's HD 3000 graphics?

On power saver i don't have the option to switch it off and i can't find anything online.I called apple here in Portugal and they were clueless and put me on hold for 10 minutes i then quit the call...

Now i used to play the game on this machine a few years ago no problem i think it's sierra that is enabling this HD graphics that i never even knew i had ?

So what do i need to do to disable completely and make it so any game uses the Radeon card ?

I hope i don't have to use lion?

thanks!

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Hello!

I'm trying to play world of warcraft on my 2011 iMac 12,2 and apparently the game is using Intel's HD 3000 graphics?

On power saver i don't have the option to switch it off and i can't find anything online.I called apple here in Portugal and they were clueless and put me on hold for 10 minutes i then quit the call...

Now i used to play the game on this machine a few years ago no problem i think it's sierra that is enabling this HD graphics that i never even knew i had ?

So what do i need to do to disable completely and make it so any game uses the Radeon card ?

I hope i don't have to use lion?

thanks!

You have 2 graphic cards in the iMac 2011?

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
quite strange:

according to mactracker, the 2011 imac12,2 uses

Processor Intel Core i5 (2500S, 2400) or Core i7 (2600) ("Sandy Bridge")
Processor Speed 2.7 or 3.1 GHz (Core i5) 3.4 GHz (Core i7)

and those use variations of intel hd 2000 gpu
https://ark.intel.com/products/52207/Intel-Core-i5-2400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

the intel 3000 gpu only popped up in the imac13,1.

(and in most cases, should only be used for quicksync)

Just to confirm, do you have a amd or an nvidia gpu?

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
The 2011 iMacs use the AMD Radeon GPU, and according to a post made in this discussion, the integrated Intel HD Graphics within the Intel CPU is not wired to the display. It's possible that the game is just making note of the other hardware present in your system, but is still using the AMD Radeon GPU.

dirtheatre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
quite strange:

according to mactracker, the 2011 imac12,2 uses

and those use variations of intel hd 2000 gpu
https://ark.intel.com/products/52207/Intel-Core-i5-2400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

the intel 3000 gpu only popped up in the imac13,1.

(and in most cases, should only be used for quicksync)

Just to confirm, do you have a amd or an nvidia gpu?
´hello my modfel is the imac 27 12,2 A1312 it has the amd radeon 6950m

i installed an SSD on it and i think the logic board had some protection or something and now this bug is happening...
[doublepost=1519820066][/doublepost]
The 2011 iMacs use the AMD Radeon GPU, and according to a post made in this discussion, the integrated Intel HD Graphics within the Intel CPU is not wired to the display. It's possible that the game is just making note of the other hardware present in your system, but is still using the AMD Radeon GPU.
WEll blizzard tells me the game should run better on the mac client than on windows and i get 120 fps on windows and 23 on OS ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.