Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Title says it all, but I'll explain it in more detail:

I am going to be switching to the iPhone 7 Plus in two weeks time (On the 17th or 18th, depending on whenever I'm able to get to the Apple Store) from my year-old LG G3 (2014 LG flagship). So, I was wondering if anyone in these forums had any tips/suggestions for me. Apps, tips on how to get started with the phone, anything really would be extremely helpful. It'll be my first iOS device after the 5th generation iPod touch I owned from 2013 up to late 2015 (the device ran iOS 8.4 IIRC before I ended up getting rid of it due to the fact it was outdated and really slow), and I'll be fairly rusty when it comes to iOS once I switch to the iPhone because of the two major versions that have been released since iOS 8.4 (iOS 9.x and 10.x).

TL;DR: Switching to the iPhone 7 Plus on the 17th or 18th, looking for suggestions for any new apps that are iOS-exclusive that are cool and/or useful, tips on how to get started with it, and anything else that may be useful to me as a returner to iOS after almost 2 years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
One interesting hidden tip, is when you're typing on the keyboard, you can hold down any key and that will move the cursor to wherever you want on the text that you were typing on to edit versus using the magnifying glass on the screen to move the cursor. It's much faster and more efficient.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Good luck with your new phone. Watch some of the tutorials on YouTube. The basic usage is pretty intuitive on the iPhone. You'll find it very easy to get started. After a week, you'll want to check out YouTube for the additional tips and hints. I'm sure you will love your new phone.

Reactions: Evelyn Harthbrooke

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yes, tutorials would be good for now.

Also, follow Apple News on Twitter. There are always "How To's" posted. Nice tips, etc--

Enjoy, think you will like on-going updates. Unlike Android. And the EcoSystem if you have family members/friends with iPhones.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Get the Verizon/Sprint version, which can be used on any network. The ATT/T-mobile version only works on the GSM so can't be used on CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint).
I live in Canada, so I won't be getting any American version hehe, but I will however be going with the unlocked version directly from Apple. :)
One interesting hidden tip, is when you're typing on the keyboard, you can hold down any key and that will move the cursor to wherever you want on the text that you were typing on to edit versus using the magnifying glass on the screen to move the cursor. It's much faster and more efficient.
Alright, thanks! That sounds like that will be extremely useful. :)
Good luck with your new phone. Watch some of the tutorials on YouTube. The basic usage is pretty intuitive on the iPhone. You'll find it very easy to get started. After a week, you'll want to check out YouTube for the additional tips and hints. I'm sure you will love your new phone.
Alright, thanks so much for that advice. I'll make sure i do that once I get the phone. And yes, I bet I will love the phone. First iOS device after like 2 years haha. :)
Yes, tutorials would be good for now.

Also, follow Apple News on Twitter. There are always "How To's" posted. Nice tips, etc--

Enjoy, think you will like on-going updates. Unlike Android. And the EcoSystem if you have family members/friends with iPhones.
Yep, the updates thing I can't wait for. With Android you're lucky to get at least one update before the OEM calls it quits. And yeah I have a few friends with iPhones, so I'll probably be able to use iMessage and stuff. :)

And yeah, thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I live in Canada, so I won't be getting any American version hehe, but I will however be going with the unlocked version directly from Apple. :)
Just be sure to check the model.

I advise that for the following reason. In the US, Apple sells two versions of the iPhone 7/7+. One, as mentioned has a GSM only radio while the other is CDMA/GSM.

I know you said you're in Canada so you're wondering why I still think this is relevant. Well, there's at least one country where a resident there (who has posted on this forum) bought an unlocked version of the iPhone at an Apple store. In that case, Apple thought it best to provide the GSM only version of the 7/7+ as the "unlocked" version in that country.

That user went outside their country and found out that they could not use their "unlocked" phone on some of the CDMA networks in the country they went to.

I don't know which version Apple is using in Canada as the "unlocked" version, but if it's GSM only and you ever need to use it on a CDMA network it won't be possible.

Just bringing that up for your awareness.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Try to watch videos about the 3D Touch capabilities, they're actually really cool. The one I use the most is hard pressing on the left side of the screen and swiping to go into the multitasking page really quick

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Sync all your contacts with google and figure out all your logins and passwords for google and email etc and set them to the side. Having as many as you can get written down and ready ahead of time the easier it is to re-login to everything. Syncing contacts with google can bring them right into IOS and that can save a lot of time. Google syncing google contacts with iPhone and tons of guides come up

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Sync all your contacts with google and figure out all your logins and passwords for google and email etc and set them to the side. Having as many as you can get written down and ready ahead of time the easier it is to re-login to everything. Syncing contacts with google can bring them right into IOS and that can save a lot of time. Google syncing google contacts with iPhone and tons of guides come up
emoji106.png
I use LastPass, and I have all my contacts and things already in the iCloud platform. Backed them up a few days ago. (Thank god for Google Contacts exporting to the vCard format)
Try to watch videos about the 3D Touch capabilities, they're actually really cool. The one I use the most is hard pressing on the left side of the screen and swiping to go into the multitasking page really quick
Alright, that's one thing I really want to experiment with once I get the iPhone. Been hearing lots of really cool things about 3D Touch so I really want to mess around with it/see what awesome things I can do with it like Peek and Pop along with the other awesome things that 3D Touch implements.
The Tips app in iOS can be useful sometimes:

https://tips.apple.com/en-us/ios/iphone

You can double tap the Home Button (Reachability) too to make it easier to reach the top of the screen.

In terms of battery life... turn off things like Background App Refresh for apps you don't really use very often.
Yep, I'll make sure I take advantage of the Tips app and turn off Background App Refresh for apps I hardly use, and see what other things I can do to improve battery life. Though, I've seen screenshots of the iPhone 7 Plus going up to almost 15hr screen on time. That's probably with a lot of crap turned off though. Oh well. Any battery life I get with the 7 Plus will probably be better than the crappy battery life I get on my G3 (I get like 2.5hr screen on time, it's just frickin awful).
You will really enjoy it. My wife got the 7 plus for Christmas and loves hers. She came from a galaxy note 4
I probably will enjoy it. I've been meaning to return to iOS for a while and I'm glad I'm finally getting the chance to after 3 years of using Android. Android's been nice, but it just doesn't suit me anymore. I want to go back to the iOS life and I'll be able to on the 18th.
Just be sure to check the model.

I advise that for the following reason. In the US, Apple sells two versions of the iPhone 7/7+. One, as mentioned has a GSM only radio while the other is CDMA/GSM.

I know you said you're in Canada so you're wondering why I still think this is relevant. Well, there's at least one country where a resident there (who has posted on this forum) bought an unlocked version of the iPhone at an Apple store. In that case, Apple thought it best to provide the GSM only version of the 7/7+ as the "unlocked" version in that country.

That user went outside their country and found out that they could not use their "unlocked" phone on some of the CDMA networks in the country they went to.

I don't know which version Apple is using in Canada as the "unlocked" version, but if it's GSM only and you ever need to use it on a CDMA network it won't be possible.

Just bringing that up for your awareness.
Alright, I'll make sure I keep that advice in mind. Though I think I'll be fine since pretty much every single carrier in Canada uses LTE by default, and the carrier I'm on doesn't use the GSM bands/frequencies at all. I don't plan on travelling anytime soon in the near future anyways, so I think I'll be fine either way. I just hope I get the iPhone 7 Plus with the Qualcomm modem instead of Intel. Heard the Qualcomm one supports more things.

Reactions: blaine07

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well after one week with my new iPhone 7+, I must concur with the good advice given so far. The size doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would - coming from a six the issues I had (finding a good pocket so movement doesn't bother me when biking) are pretty much the same. Love 3d touch, appreciate the iPad style of shifting the home screen in landscape view and the battery is amazing!!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Hello

Be prepared for the size difference as that can have a massive impact on like ability and usability for sure. I for one like that the phone is big but I couldn't use it one handed so when it comes to my upgrade time it will be the standard 7 not plus. The main reason is my hand size but my problem is that I wear skinny fit jeans therefore a plus simply wouldn't fit in my pocket comfortably. My galaxy S6 was pushing it. Now that I'm using a iPhone 5S it is comfortable pocket wise but I'll be happy with a 7 soon as that's nicely in between my 5S and S6 size wise!

rodetrip

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
definitey just look for tips and tutorials online! especially 3D touch tutorials and also look up on how to save battery life! the iphone is pretty easy to learn, you just have to take the time and read tutorials if you want to master it quicker.

i pretty much use most of the stock apps. i really love the news app, use it all the time. also the music app is also good, i have apple music for $10 a month with a pair of some black beatsX. so i am pretty happy in the music department! the health, weather apps are pretty decent as well. the only stock app i dont use is mail, reason for that is because i only have gmail, and we all know that gmail does not get push with the stock mail app. so i am currently using the email app by google, no complaints at all. my primary keyboard is the stock keyboard and secondary is gboard(only use it for the slide text). also, any stock apps you dont want or need, can be deleted now.

i recommend getting apple care+ on your new iphone, really nice deal! enjoy your new iphone!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.