Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I'm in the market to sell my XTi with 2 lens for ~$600 so this is my budget for a "new" used camera body. I will then purchase a secondhand walk around lens.

Call me strange, but I want an SD camera for cleanliness with the newest 13" MBP.

I was mainly considering the Canon XSi with a 17-85mm IS USM lens.
I would love the 40D if it had an SD, and I know thats a really stupid reason not to buy a camera, but I'm sticking to it please!

From Nikon (which I know next to nothing about) the D80 uses SD and seems to be within my budget.

From Pentax the K200D or the K20D

From Olympus, the E-520 which I think is a "Micro Four-Thirds" which I know nothing about.

From Sony (I don't really like their camera brand) the a300 or a350

I know this is a lot of information, and I really never found anything wrong with Canon, but if you have opinions on what to do when starting over entirely?

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Ah, looks like its down to the XSi, D80 or K20D

XSi Pros: 14 bit A/D, 3" Screen, 3.5fps shooting,
XSi Cons: 1600 ISO max, Buffer in RAW is only 6, 9 AF Points, Viewfinder

D80 Pros: Price, 3200 ISO, 11 AF Points, 2nd Display
D80 Cons: No live view, 12 bit A/D, 2.5" Screen

K20D Pros: 14 bit A/D, ISO up to 6400, 11 AF Points, Pentaprism Viewfinder, 2nd Display, Built in IS
K20D Cons: Price, Brand Compatibility?, 1/180 X-Sync, 3.0 fps Shooting

Comments on these three?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
It depends on what you're shooting and how you shoot. It also matters which lenses you shoot. I've had nothing but good times with my small, light D40. If you have lenses w/o their own AF motor, it's not for you, though.

I wouldn't simply buy up to what you can afford. Most DSLR features most people never use. You can't go wrong with either a Nikon or Canon. IMO, buy as low of a model as will support what you actually do and use the rest to buy nicer glass. Lenses >>>>>> camera.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
That makes sense, thanks! Say I buy the Pentax K200D, I assume it must have a decent walk around. Even if I stick with Canon, I never use L glass as my budget just won't isn't there being a college student.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
All of the cameras are fine choices.

I have to say though, the idea of forgoing one camera over another purely for an SD port is ridiculous. Sure, it's nice to have the aesthetic cleanliness of slipping an SD card into the MBP, but to give up a camera or a set of features purely because you don't want to plug your card reader or camera into your computer?

That's just silly.

The XTi is still a fine camera, and I doubt your photographic skills will improve with a new camera body. Stick with the XTi, buy a new lens to satisfy your lust for new gear, take more photos to improve your skills and don't even worry about the memory card format.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
first, do you think you'll be getting into "serious" (for lack of a better word) photography? like portraiture, sports, event shooting, or fine art. if so, only Sony, Nikon, and Canon have the camera and lens lines to give you options and the best results.

if not, jump on Pentax. weather-sealing, pentaprism viewfinder (no one else has one in the same price range), and a great selection of lenses designed for digital.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
As you defined serious above, nope. I know switching just for the convinence is foolish, but I was actually planning on switching the XTi for the XSi already.

I'm leaning towards the XSi vs. the K200D, but am concerned about the noise in the Pentax, as well as the in-body IS being less effective than the lens specific IS on EF and EF-S mount lens.

The K200D has 11 AF points Vs. XSi 9 not sure if that makes much of a difference.
Weather Sealing and Pentaprism are great, as well as the secondary display that canon reserves for its prosumer line.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Hmm, that looks interesting, is it passthrough, or will it decrease the card speed in anyway?

I may forego it all and get a 40D secondhand if I can find it for the right price. Otherwise its the XSi or K200D

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I'm leaning towards the XSi vs. the K200D, but am concerned about the noise in the Pentax, as well as the in-body IS being less effective than the lens specific IS on EF and EF-S mount lens.

noise is an overblown issue at this point. will you be posting full-size images online or making large prints (say, 12x18+)? if not, even the inferior noise-handling of the Pentax (compared to the Canon) is more than enough.

in-lens IS is reputedly a stop or two better than in-camera, but then again, you only get it in certain lenses, and you have to pay extra for it.

The K200D has 11 AF points Vs. XSi 9 not sure if that makes much of a difference.
Weather Sealing and Pentaprism are great, as well as the secondary display that canon reserves for its prosumer line.

the AF points don't make a big difference - it's more about the AF system in general, and i think they're similar enough not to matter. the other features are all big advantages, though.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
if not, even the inferior noise-handling of the Pentax (compared to the Canon) is more than enough.

Note, less noise but at the expense of sharpness:

(From Camera Labs: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pentax_K200D/noise.shtml)
Interestingly while the K200D may boost these settings, it sensibly holds back on the noise reduction by default to retain detail albeit at the cost of greater visible noise. In contrast, the E-520 and 450D / XSi take a different approach and apply greater noise reduction by default to deliver lower visible noise, but at the cost of softer images. Note the Canon 200 ISO sample is fractionally out of focus.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hmm, that looks interesting, is it passthrough, or will it decrease the card speed in anyway?

I may forego it all and get a 40D secondhand if I can find it for the right price. Otherwise its the XSi or K200D

Yes, decreased speed, and make sure you format the SD card with the adapter.

No passthrough. CF has the controller in the card, hence when new capacities come out, they are compatible with devices. SD, when new capacties come out, may need a newer controller, hence the card not compatible with the older equipment.

So, I would imagine some other manufacturer can come out with an adapter that's even faster.

People in the reviews seem to like it.

Get the 40D... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.