Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oakrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
I'd love to use Sierra's sync features which keep local and iCloud versions aligned while also monitoring free space. BUT iCloud just isn't reliable enough (see Ben Lovejoy's right-on comment today on 9to5 Mac).

So I pay for a 1 TB Dropbox account., trying to keep files on my iMac and MacBook coordinated. My setup is old iMac as main machine with 1TB drive, (hopefully new iMac with 2 TB fusion drive soon, if Apple ever upgrades its iMac so it has a usb-c connection) and a 500 GB SSD on 12" MacBook for travel.

It would be easy if I just kept all my files in Dropbox and accessed them from each machine. Why have any local copies at all to keep track of?

But in that case - where's the backup of my Dropbox files? I don't want to rely totally on Dropbox, and want the security of a physical local copy (preferably a physical copy plus a physical backup).

Is there some way of keeping all these in sync? i.e. the files in Dropbox, the local files on iMac and MacBook, and a physical backup?

Any help much appreciated. Sorry if I'm covering old ground. Seems this should be a common issue, but I can't seem to find information on a search.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.