Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I have an iPad that is formatted for my Mac. I will be traveling this fall and am considering bringing my smaller lighter windows laptop with my ipad. Will my windows laptop be able sync data on and off the ipad? The windows device is a Dell latitude e7270 with windows 10.

My ideal situation is to copy the files from my mac to the laptop via Finder/Windows Explorer. Then copy the files I want for that part of the trip on the ipad. When I want to switch, I connect to iTunes, remove the films and add new ones. I would ideally do this for my iPhone for photos and videos from it as well)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Are iOS devices “formatted” to a particular platform? I would have thought that you can sync to anything that runs iTunes.

Reactions: bensisko

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Are iOS devices “formatted” to a particular platform? I would have thought that you can sync to anything that runs iTunes.

Yes, but the caution is syncing with multiple computers. In the past, syncing with a Mac at home and a PC at work meant that they would each try to assert dominance over the iPad and delete files, apps, contacts, etc. that weren’t on the machine it was currently syncing to. It took a lot of effort to make sure my work PC wasn’t deleting my home contacts and such.

Having said that, it’s been a SUPER long time since I synced an iPad with any laptop (iPad 4 I think...) so things may have improved...

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Right now all my movies and other media are stored on a Mac Mini so the only time I connect the iPad to it is so that I can more quickly moved 5-10 films. It is set to manually sync media.

I will give it a try and report back.

Thanks everyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.