Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I can't find where / how to sync via WiFi. By "sync", perhaps what I really mean is "backup" as in "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac". In iOS 12 and before, I could go to Settings => General and sync (which I took to mean the same thing as "backup" since there is only one date displayed).

Also, twice now, my iPhone settings on my Mac have reverted to backing up to iCloud -- which I wouldn't mind doing except that I don't have the storage needed for all my iOS devices and also my internet upload speeds are horribly slow.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Not sure what do you mean. There were always 2 ways to make a backup, with iCloud or iTunes, and don't remember that you could do a Wi-Fi backup with iTunes.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
This is what I was referring to (from an old iPhone I have)

IMG_0268.jpg

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
iTunes was making a backup with this? I've missed a lot then, thought it's just data sync :D Regarding the question, from what I've seen online it should be there. Do you have Wi-Fi sync enabled for this device in iTunes/Finder?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
This is what I was referring to (from an old iPhone I have)

View attachment 873323
yes, we’ve been able to backup to iTunes over WiFi for years now. But it wasn’t always successful. That setting on your phone shows that you have enabled it at some point but you can’t use That setting to actually do the backup, at least it has never worked for me. You need to launch iTunes on your Mac. However if you have installed Catalina on your Mac that is now done through Finder, no more iTunes. Also with the new software both ios and macOS you may need to connect the device by usb cable to authorize the process again. I did with each ios device. With Finder the devices should appear in the sidebar under locations. In iTunes at the top of the window there will a device icon and when you click on that you will see the devices that are connected to it by WiFi or by the cable. Using the cable is the only way to restore your backup to the device. I use both iCloud and Finder backup for my devices. Normally rely on iCloud but do a weekly backup to Finder, or iTunes, as a fallback.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I may not have used the proper steps. I always use the backup now button on iTunes or Finder after launching them. Seems just as easy and usually works. Although frequently I would have to quit iTunes and relaunch to get the devices to appear. Same now with Finder. Luckier than some whose devices never appear in Finder now.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Ok. But my question is still the same. That entry doesn't exist (for me) on iOS 13. Did it move?
as X34 stated that no longer exists and can only be done from Finder if you're on Catalina. I just backed up my devices with a few issues. One just wouldn't backup until I used a cable. Others wouldn't appear until I relaunched Finder, under the Apple symbol on the menu bar - Force Quit - and when the window comes up click on Finder to relaunch, if iTunes just quit and relaunch. Anyway eventually all were backed up. The process takes quite a while, especially for 4 devices.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Ok. But my question is still the same. That entry doesn't exist (for me) on iOS 13. Did it move?
Will say in other words: connect your device via USB > make sure that Wi-Fi sync is enabled in iTunes (Finder for Catalina) > toggle it if enabled or turn it ON > check if you have this option under General now, restart your phone if not.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
In iOS 13 that option under General does not exist, at least not if you’re syncing with a Catalina device. You will have to connect by cable the first time and check trust this computer, and unlock your device. But all this is done from Finder now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.