Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lubohl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
Hello and thank you for help.
This is the first time I try to use my IMac for gaminig, and I can't understand whether it fits the system requirements.
Requirements are:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.1 GHz / AMD FX-6300 @ 3.9 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 / AMD R9 285 (2 GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)
  • VRAM: 2 GB
  • MEMORY: 8 GB
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
My IMac has got:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 quad-core @ 3.1 GHz
  • GPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB
  • MEMORY: 8 GB
  • OS: if the other requirements are met, I'll downolad boot camp and install Windows 10 64-bit.
Can anyone tell me if it's worth downloading boot camp and buying the game? As far as I understand, I think the GPU is not enough: I'd like not to buy the game without being able to play it...
I need it for work (I'm a teacher) and I'm really desperate.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
What game is it? I think the problem is the Iris Pro 6200 is a very weak GPU that uses shared system RAM. Google 'Iris Pro 6200 vs GTX 660' for some benchmarks - even though the Nvidia card is about 9 years old, it wipes the floor with the Intel one.

But apparently the Iris Pro 6200 does support shader model 5.1, so who knows, you might get something out of it at low resolution. Search online for benchmarks using that GPU and whatever game you're trying to play.

Reactions: ADAMVINH

lubohl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
What game is it? I think the problem is the Iris Pro 6200 is a very weak GPU that uses shared system RAM. Google 'Iris Pro 6200 vs GTX 660' for some benchmarks - even though the Nvidia card is about 9 years old, it wipes the floor with the Intel one.

But apparently the Iris Pro 6200 does support shader model 5.1, so who knows, you might get something out of it at low resolution. Search online for benchmarks using that GPU and whatever game you're trying to play.
Thank you very much. It's Assassin's Creed Odyssey (at least the discovery tour, better the whole game): I've tried to look online and I've realised that my GPU it's weak, but I wasn't sure if it can anyway let me play or not. Even though the game experience won't be excellent, it's enough if it works. Otherwise, I've got another Imac with M1 chip and I've installed Parallels 17, but when I try to installa games in Xbox it crashes (don't know why)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Haha, I was expecting you to say you were trying to get Quake III working or something like that. AC Odyssey is a really demanding game, so you are out of luck with that machine. Here's a Windows benchmark, it suggests that you can expect around 12 fps at the lowest settings at 720p resolution, so it will be effectively unplayable on your iMac and will look extremely bad. https://gagadget.com/en/graphics-cards/geforce-720a-vs-iris-pro-graphics-6200/

Anyway, your M1 is way more powerful, why not just try to get it working on that via Geforce Now? They have all the AC games for streaming. I can't help you with the details, but streaming games is arguably the best way to do it on that class of computer, and you can run them at much higher settings than any Mac is capable of natively.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Many Assassin's Creed games run fine in Parallels according to that page.
But not the specific one the OP was asking about. The most recent one on that list is AC Unity, which says it ‘runs’ but has a note adding ‘unplayable’. Streaming is the only way you’re likely to play that game on a geriatric iMac or Apple silicon, and Geforce Now will let you play it at maxed out settings.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
But not the specific one the OP was asking about. The most recent one on that list is AC Unity, which says it ‘runs’ but has a note adding ‘unplayable’. Streaming is the only way you’re likely to play that game on a geriatric iMac or Apple silicon, and Geforce Now will let you play it at maxed out settings.

Both Parallels and Crossover have 14 days free trial so you can easily test for yourself if it runs.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Both Parallels and Crossover have 14 days free trial so you can easily test for yourself if it runs.
Then OP could be left with a game they cannot play if it doesn't work well in either one of those (they are asking if they should buy the game as well as if it will run).

Not discounting that GeForce Now also requires you to buy the game as well...

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Then OP could be left with a game they cannot play if it doesn't work well in either one of those (they are asking if they should buy the game as well as if it will run).

Not discounting that GeForce Now also requires you to buy the game as well...

You're right about that. OP shouldn't buy it, although it's on sale now. The game doesn't have a demo but every year Ubisoft offers free-to-play weekends so best to check this page out. In 2019 it was in Oct and last year it was in March. Maybe they'll have such a weekend again next month. Then you can test it in Crossover/Parallells.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
You can also buy it on Steam and test it in Parallels or Crossover for max 2 hours and return it and ask for refund if it doesn't work.

Edit: When I check Ubisoft's return policy it says the game must not have been launched so it seems that it's not the same policy as Steam's. People still say you can ask for refund if you buy it on Steam though. Here is another guy saying he got refund for his Steam purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: diamond.g
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.