Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bahiaeternal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Today at work, my co worker was showing me his new LG G5. We both have T Mobile but where my iPhone 6S Plus had only 2 bars his LG had 5 bars. He explained that his phone took advantage of T Mobile's new EVS technology.

Does anyone now if this is a software update the iPhone 6S can take advantage of or is this a hardware limitation on the iPhone 6S?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The LG G5 for T-Mobile came with EVS. This week the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge got EVS through a software update. It would be a software update just like for the other T-Mobile devices. It does not have anything to do with the number of "bars" of cell signal. :(

It is really just a Codec (coder/decoder) that T-Mobile is using on LTE and WiFi connections. Think of it as a better (higher) sampling rate as in the music world, in this case more audio frequency range leads to a better sounding connection for you.

Note: EVS = Enhanced Voice Services

Dave

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
^^^To add to this, it's just for voice. Not improved reception of signal.

BTW, T-Mobile intends to have approximately seven devices using EVS by the end of 2016. None of them are the iPhone.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Today at work, my co worker was showing me his new LG G5. We both have T Mobile but where my iPhone 6S Plus had only 2 bars his LG had 5 bars. He explained that his phone took advantage of T Mobile's new EVS technology.
What a bunch of non-sense. This is exactly why T-Mobile shouldn't be telling its user base about every little upgrade they do. People suddenly think they're know-it-alls.

EVS has no improvement in reception. It's all about voice.

That being said, T-Mobile android phones tend to overreport signal strength. That is exactly what you noticed. Next time, put the iPhone into service mode and see the actual strength. They should be similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.