Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiehanzheng

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
My carrier is T-Mobile and I want to join the IUP program and pre-order the iPhone X. However Apple online store doesn't seem to let me do that (I tested joining the program with iPhone 8 to see what it's like).

I read somewhere that a possible solution is to purchase an iPhone X online, in full, as soon as pre-order starts, and then go into the store and return it, and join the program in-store with the returned phone.

Is this feasible? Has anyone done exactly this?

The iPhone X probably won't be available for pick up on launch day, requiring it to be shipped to me. Would it be okay to return the new iPhone in store, or would I have to return it by shipping it back to Apple?

Thanks folks!

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What happened when you tried to purchase via IUP? Any error message? Any difference if you try purchasing via the Apple Store app on an IOS device?

I read somewhere that a possible solution is to purchase an iPhone X online, in full, as soon as pre-order starts, and then go into the store and return it, and join the program in-store with the returned phone.

Why not go into the Apple store that you would use and just ask them? That way if there are any problems you can point to what you were told. Or just call the on-line store.

Last year you had to go into the store if purchasing a T-Mobile IUP phone for reasons that I was never able to understand. Possibly something related to the credit check. Tried a test for the iPhone 8 IUP this year and it seemed to work.

jiehanzheng

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
What happened when you tried to purchase via IUP? Any error message? Any difference if you try purchasing via the Apple Store app on an IOS device?

Why not go into the Apple store that you would use and just ask them? That way if there are any problems you can point to what you were told. Or just call the on-line store.

Last year you had to go into the store if purchasing a T-Mobile IUP phone for reasons that I was never able to understand. Possibly something related to the credit check. Tried a test for the iPhone 8 IUP this year and it seemed to work.
Good idea, will check with the Apple Store this weekend. Thanks for your advice!

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
I got IUP last year (w/T-Mobile) and could only sign up in the store. Apparently, with other carriers you could do it online. You may want to try the Barclay CC if you trying to get it on launch or just buy one out right.

If you can't get it on launch, just wait until they are in stock (if you can) then sign up. It seems that once you sign up and become eligible to upgrade, the process is simpler. For example, I received an email before the 8 preorder and if I wanted to, would've been able to do everything online using the app.

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
It seems like it would be illegal to make customers go to the store as some places don't have Apple stores around them and are forced to get it from Apple.
[doublepost=1509162485][/doublepost]
I got IUP last year (w/T-Mobile) and could only sign up in the store. Apparently, with other carriers you could do it online. You may want to try the Barclay CC if you trying to get it on launch or just buy one out right.

If you can't get it on launch, just wait until they are in stock (if you can) then sign up. It seems that once you sign up and become eligible to upgrade, the process is simpler. For example, I received an email before the 8 preorder and if I wanted to, would've been able to do everything online using the app.
Do you know,if the store can order one if isn't in stock or if I have to wait till one comes in?

Last edited:

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
you can preorder one through T-Mobile and once they have them in stock they will call you.

[doublepost=1509172499][/doublepost]
It seems like it would be illegal to make customers go to the store as some places don't have Apple stores around them and are forced to get it from Apple.
[doublepost=1509162485][/doublepost]
Do you know,if the store can order one if isn't in stock or if I have to wait till one comes in?

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
you can preorder one through T-Mobile and once they have them in stock they will call you.

[doublepost=1509172499][/doublepost]
So will they hold it for me or do I have to get to store before it's sold? I don't want to order one full price I'm just going to go into store and join IUP on the 3rd.

Last edited:

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
So will they hold it for me or do I have to get to store before it's sold? I don't want to order one full price I'm just going to go into store and join IUP on the 3rd.

Yes because you are technically ordering it. They will give you a time limit though

Red_rum

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to enroll for iPhone upgrade program since 3rd of November without a luck. I have a T-mobile and apple is not allowing T-mobile users to enroll online. u have to go to store for this. went there several times (just came home from store). to get enrolled, store has to have iPhones (iPhone X) in stock. around my location there are no iPhone X in 12 stores for t-mobile user. only option to buy it is preorder.

on my first visit, one of the apple staff told me to wake up every day at 6 am and look if there are any iPhones in stock for tmobile, buy it (to reserve it), go in store for pickup and at that moment "return" it back. (with this operation I would reserve one iPhone for me for enrollment). after 3 days I stopped waking up in the mornings.

on the next visit, I asked if I could buy an AT&T iPhone (which they had in store) and use it on my t-mobile. answer was NO. I couldn't do it because that device was only for at&t users and they were not allowed to sell it under t mobile enrollment program.

I got an idea to preorder t-mobile iPhone, bring it back to store. return it and at the same time enroll for upgrade program. in this case that would have an tmobile device in store.

today I got my iPhone x. went to store and first asked if this "operation" will work. they said yes if I had an iPhone in hand. I showed them my iPhone. after this they told me that there was a big chance that somebody would buy it online while enrolling me on this program. (why they couldn't reserve it under my name while enrolling process I don't know). I said ok lets still try it. we stared the process of returning. and after checking if I was eligible for upgrade program. they found another problem. my phone number was under my wife name. and they couldn't do it without her. "luckily" my wife was in the mall too. they asked SNN and her driver license. here we got another problem, wife's driver license was not good for them. and to find out what was the problem with it they advised to go to DMV and ask them "why apple did not like my driver license?"

did anybody have the same issue? I have a filling that for some reason apple does not want to sell to t-mobile users iPhones with upgrade program. while sprint, at&t and version users can enroll online.

p.s. forget to mention that i bought on apple.com with Barclay card without any problem in 10 minute mac book.

Logan in LA

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
I had to try three credit cards before they decided they liked one. Not an issue of available credit or credit score, just some picky thing with my business address. So yes, the process can be a real mess. I assume it usually works like a charm for most people.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Hi,

I'm trying to enroll for iPhone upgrade program since 3rd of November without a luck. I have a T-mobile and apple is not allowing T-mobile users to enroll online. u have to go to store for this. went there several times (just came home from store). to get enrolled, store has to have iPhones (iPhone X) in stock. around my location there are no iPhone X in 12 stores for t-mobile user. only option to buy it is preorder.

on my first visit, one of the apple staff told me to wake up every day at 6 am and look if there are any iPhones in stock for tmobile, buy it (to reserve it), go in store for pickup and at that moment "return" it back. (with this operation I would reserve one iPhone for me for enrollment). after 3 days I stopped waking up in the mornings.

on the next visit, I asked if I could buy an AT&T iPhone (which they had in store) and use it on my t-mobile. answer was NO. I couldn't do it because that device was only for at&t users and they were not allowed to sell it under t mobile enrollment program.

I got an idea to preorder t-mobile iPhone, bring it back to store. return it and at the same time enroll for upgrade program. in this case that would have an tmobile device in store.

today I got my iPhone x. went to store and first asked if this "operation" will work. they said yes if I had an iPhone in hand. I showed them my iPhone. after this they told me that there was a big chance that somebody would buy it online while enrolling me on this program. (why they couldn't reserve it under my name while enrolling process I don't know). I said ok lets still try it. we stared the process of returning. and after checking if I was eligible for upgrade program. they found another problem. my phone number was under my wife name. and they couldn't do it without her. "luckily" my wife was in the mall too. they asked SNN and her driver license. here we got another problem, wife's driver license was not good for them. and to find out what was the problem with it they advised to go to DMV and ask them "why apple did not like my driver license?"

did anybody have the same issue? I have a filling that for some reason apple does not want to sell to t-mobile users iPhones with upgrade program. while sprint, at&t and version users can enroll online.

p.s. forget to mention that i bought on apple.com with Barclay card without any problem in 10 minute mac book.

Yes, for some reason (I think a font explained this in another thread) T-Mobile users have to sign up in person. Something to do with T-Mobile's authentication process not being upgraded. Once you are enrolled, you won't have to do it for the next phone (if you choose to upgrade).

I'm a T-Mobile user with IUP, they wouldn't let me get the Verizon model because I was a T-Mobile user. Said the only way I could get the Verizon model was to pay in full, which I'll assume is the same reason they wouldn't give you the AT&T version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.