Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrunchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
I read here that I just need to specify -c:v hevc_videotoolbox for an ffmpeg GUI like Handbrake to convert to 8bit H265 using the T2 chip for hardware encoding.
I tried specifying --encoder hevc_videotoolbox in the Additional Options section of the video tab in Handbrake. It really didn't seem like it was using hardware acceleration.

Anybody can tell me how to use hevc_videotoolbox / T2 hardware encoding with Handbrake, and/or how to check if it's working?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I know it's a lot simpler with compressor, but it won't open certain containers like m2ts.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
I don't think FFmpeg is using the T2 hevc encoder, but the quick sync one, T2 encoder has got a different name than the one that FFmpeg is calling.

Anyway, if you want to use the hardware acceleration (but probably not the T2 one) in HandBrake, download a nightly build: https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php
If it doesn't work try to set a constant frame rate.

No one on the HandBrake team has got a T2 Mac yet, so it could be using the T2 encoder, or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.