Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punchwalk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
Hi all. My late-2013 MBP is affected by staingate. I made a Genius Bar appointment for later today to see if they'll replace my display at no cost. I'm a little concerned, though. My staingate issues aren't nearly as bad as some I've seen. It's all around the bezel, but only a little bit in the actual display area.

Has anyone had a Genius decline to offer a free replacement because their staingate situation "wasn't bad enough?" Should I wait a few more months for it to get worse so that I have a more legitimate complaint?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
No one here can answer your questions.

The only way to find out is to give it a try.

Take it in and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: HenryDJP

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Please be sure to update this post with your results. I am sort of in the same situation with my late-2013 13" MBP.

It appears to be getting worse at a much faster rate now than when it first appeared. I would rather get it fixed before it becomes much more of an eyesore, but I don't want to waste my time either (don't live all that close to an Apple store).

punchwalk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
Here's the update: They're going to replace my display free of charge (it will take 3-5 days). The Genius openly mentioned the internal quality program for this specific issue. Not sure if all stores are that transparent about these things, but I appreciated it.

Now I'm just hoping I don't get a mediocre replacement panel like some other people have claimed to receive.

windows4ever

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
I called Apple about this recently and based on what the AppleCare rep told me, the program was extended by one year (officially it was supposed to end last sept or oct).

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
I have bought 3 late 2013 MBPs on ebay within the last month that had the coating issue and took them to the Apple store. They replaced the displays on all 3, no questions asked. 2-3 days is all it took for them and that includes shipping them back to my house.
Anyone who reads this and has the issue, go to your closest Apple store and do it.

kaya93

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
I have a problem with staingate but they dont want to replace the screen for free? What should I do?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have a problem with staingate but they dont want to replace the screen for free? What should I do?"

Where "in the world" are you?

Last edited:

kaya93

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
MacBook Pro mid 2014. Im from Slovenia.
1c999a10f70d5c7e40c2f372bf5e3d3b.jpg
20090d9164fa6eb1a4c34479b4b5c425.jpg

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have it on my Early 2015 MBP 13 inch, but I won't be able to get it fixed until about spring time next year when I return to the US. Hopefully they will not give me any problems.

kaya93

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
We have premium reseller.. what if u go to Austria can they repair my laptop there?
And what do you think about my screen? is this staingate or not?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Holy crap... that's really bad. Maybe get AppleCare on the phone to document the existence of your issue (email the photo perhaps), so there is no argument when you are back in the States.
I will do it a couple months before I head back to the US. This is the repair offer I will be taking advantage of:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-program/

Will print that page and have it with me as proof also. You win some, lose some I guess. Its not as apparent when its turned on, but it does look awful powered off. I don't use anything to clean the screen except the included micro-fiber cloth. My Surface Pro 3 is kept in the same room and I don't have that problem. Started out as a tiny little spot, then it grew into this disaster.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Here is mine: MacBook Pro 13 inch Early 2015.

I have often wondered if the condition ones uses your computer in has an effect on the occurrence of Staingate issues. I wonder if being somewhere humid and effect, and especially that has salt air.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have often wondered if the condition ones uses your computer in has an effect on the occurrence of Staingate issues. I wonder if being somewhere humid and effect, and especially that has salt air.
Could be, but I have seen several MacBook Pro's around Jamaica and in my local and they don't have this issue. Its a process it seems you can sometimes be lucky. But considering this has been happening since 2012, its not necessarily isolated its just an ongoing process they try to get better at. I was just hoping by the 2015 models, they would finally perfect it - obviously not. Will be interesting to see if there are any reports of issues with the 2016 and 2017 models. Makes you wonder whats gonna happen when Apple eventually transitions to OLED. Will I have to wait until 2025 before I think its safe?

khabboub

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2014
Tampa
I will do it a couple months before I head back to the US. This is the repair offer I will be taking advantage of:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-program/

Will print that page and have it with me as proof also. You win some, lose some I guess. Its not as apparent when its turned on, but it does look awful powered off. I don't use anything to clean the screen except the included micro-fiber cloth. My Surface Pro 3 is kept in the same room and I don't have that problem. Started out as a tiny little spot, then it grew into this disaster.

just keep in mind, this program will end on October 17 of 2017. or with 3 years of purchasing the device. which ever one gives you longer coverage. it says that in the article that you linked to.

best thing to do would be to contact AppleCare and ask them try to facilitate your repair now. if the device is no longer covered, you'll have a hard time convincing the store to cover it for you.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
just keep in mind, this program will end on October 17 of 2017. or with 3 years of purchasing the device. which ever one gives you longer coverage. it says that in the article that you linked to.

best thing to do would be to contact AppleCare and ask them try to facilitate your repair now. if the device is no longer covered, you'll have a hard time convincing the store to cover it for you.
I purchased mine in October of 2015, I should be good until October 2018, right? I'm outside of the US, so I don't have any other options. The event I was planning to attend in November was pushed out to spring 2018. So, thats why I have to wait until then.

mjturner

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Godalming, United Kingdom
Just adding one more "staingate" data point. Today I took my wife's early 2015 13" MBP to the Apple Store in Covent Garden (London, UK) and the screen was replaced free of charge, no questions asked. The laptop is still covered by AppleCare and was purchased in September 2015. That said, the Genius marked the repair as being covered by UK consumer law (it says "Warranty Status: Consumer Law Coverage (CL)" on the invoice).

From drop-off until "ready to collect" email it was less than an hour and a half hour. Invoice total was £391.00 (£322 parts, £69 labour).

FWIW, I activated the guest account (her machine has FileVault 2 enabled) and they were happy with me not providing any other username or password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.