Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
I've gotten into the position of taking photos of my friends band (and doing all their artwork). I've taken around 400 photos from various events etc and now I can't really think of any interesting ways of showing them...

http://www.fultonspoint.co.uk - Click on Media for (some of the) photos I've already done. Also, see their myspace.com/fplizzle - I left a comment on their with a round 12 images that I haven't put online yet...

Cheers fo any advice, jive

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
I had a look at your EXIF data, and based on what you are shooting with they aren't that bad. I don't like some of the effects but that is just my personal opinion. I wouldn't mind doing that kind of photography. Keep working on it and have fun with it!

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Pump up the ISO as much as possible, and don't use the flash. Get up close and use the autofocus in some pictures. Angle is everything in live shows. The atmosphere will give you the picture.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Some others may disagree with me but,

Spend some time cleaning the images up. Get rid of hair and dust marks.
Other than that there's some really cool shots.
I used to take photos of bands. I used to go through vast amounts of film.
I think I averaged just over 200 shots per gig.

Fugazi:
Fugazi-2.jpg

Fugazi-3.jpg

Le Petit Vodo:
Le-Petit-Vodo-1.jpg

Man...Or Astro Man?
Man-Or-AstroMan-1.jpg

The Make Up:
The-Make-Up-2.jpg

dogbone

macrumors 68020
jive said:
Cheers fo any advice, jive

No flash is better than all flash. But best of all is balanced fill flash.

Aim for a shutter speed of about 1/30 sec. You'll probably be at around ƒ4 to 5.6 at 800 ISO. Aim for the flash to be about 1/3 the ambient light. Practice at home using tungsten lamps for illumination and set the flash on manual and try various settings. Don't be afraid to get the shutter speeds down to about 1/8 of a second if necessary. Looks good with small amount of movement and the flash will create a sharp edge. In fact if you are working up close the lighting will be fairly consistent. You'd probably be better off shooting fully manually. IMO.

EDIT:
Here's an example.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.