Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
What are some tips and tricks to taking nice photos of your workstation with computer screen(s) not over-exposed yet not having the room too dark?

Posting some samples and your suggested tips/tricks would be great!

TIA! :)

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
It's going to be very difficult to get both the screen and the environment exposed properly and have the white balance match in a single shot. What I tend to do is take two shots, one exposed for the screen, and one of the environment slightly under exposed. It's pretty easy to composite them in photoshop. A similar effect can be obtained by using fill flash or dimming the screen but I find that to be more difficult.

I'd also recommend just playing around. This is an image I shot for a presentation using my laptop's screen as the only source of light. It wasn't possible to expose the screen properly and have the laptop bright enough so I used the two exposure trick and merged them in photoshop.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I've never had to go that far. All I do is turn off the flash, put my camera on a tripod or stool or anything and that's it. Unless there is no light in your location, it should not be over exposed. If it is, just turn down the brightness a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.