Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Just wondering if any Canon shooters have any experience with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens. Been thinking about switching to an XT and purchasing that in lieu of the kit lens. Yes, it costs 3x as much, but the kit lens does not seem to get very good reviews (not sharp).

Thoughts on that lens? Example pictures? Suggestions for an alternative lens? I guess if you have any thoughts about the kit lens, I will listen to those, as well. ;) Danke!

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Just wondering if any Canon shooters have any experience with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens. Been thinking about switching to an XT and purchasing that in lieu of the kit lens. Yes, it costs 3x as much, but the kit lens does not seem to get very good reviews (not sharp).

Thoughts on that lens? Example pictures? Suggestions for an alternative lens? I guess if you have any thoughts about the kit lens, I will listen to those, as well. ;) Danke!

It's a great lens. I have one and love it. Here's the one pic I can think of that I have posted taken with this lens.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I used the lens on a trip, it was great, useable at 2.8 and a nice focal range on the XT. AF is noisy but quick, saturation and IQ was better than the kit lens but below L level, about the same with the $900 17-55 IS although that has a higher IQ and better color in my opinion. It's fantastic for the price and a good stepping stone to more expensive gear if you ever choose to do so (you might not b/c this lens is great already).

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
I would agree with the above comment - I used one for a week and it was very, very sharp even wide open and at all ranges. Mine had a bit of vignetting and colors were not as saturated as L glass, but still very nice - a tiny bit of PS and you'd never know.

For the price you can't beat it.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
with the possible exception of a good Sigma 18-50mm, but you have to get a good one, there seems to be a lot of variation and the range between the Tam's 17mm and Siggy 18mm is more than it should be.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
BTW - if you are interested in looking at some full res images from the 17-50mm Tamron, drop me a line with an email that will accept some large images and I'll be happy to send you some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.