Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/01/tamron-announces-15x-zoom-lens-for-nikon-canon-dslrs/

Over at Engadget they've posted a quick article about this potentially versitile lens with a zoom range from 18mm - 270mm which is the same territory as Nikon's excellent 18mm-200mm VR.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking Nikon lenses are the only one's you should be buying, but sometimes the money factor gets invovled and scupper's your decisions. So with this Tamron there will be concerns of build quality and lens clarity.

I've formed my own opinions, gathered details and news on http://www.terrylee.net/blog/?p=342

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I haven't used it yet but personally but I wouldnt go for such a zoom range as its never useful. I'd rather have an 17-50 and a 80-200 for the rare occasions that I'll need one

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Yea, it does seem like a good "all in one" lens, but don't they say that the wider the range, the lower the image quality.

I agree w/ the second poster. I would rather have two lenses in that range, than one. yeah, it's a pain to keep changing lenses, but I would rather have better IQ and faster apertures

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
It's a matter of time before some lens manufacturers produce high quality lenses such as this, but of wider apertures. Just think about this: wouldn't you like to have one single lens with a fixed aperture of at least f2.8, one that would cover a range from ultra-wide to perhaps 200mm? That would be much easier than having to remove and replace lenses and get dust all over the sensor, but would probably cost a fortune.

That said, I prefer Canon lenses, but also use Tikina and Tamron.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
It's a matter of time before some lens manufacturers produce high quality lenses such as this, but of wider apertures. Just think about this: wouldn't you like to have one single lens with a fixed aperture of at least f2.8, one that would cover a range from ultra-wide to perhaps 200mm? That would be much easier than having to remove and replace lenses and get dust all over the sensor, but would probably cost a fortune.

That said, I prefer Canon lenses, but also use Tikina and Tamron.

Have you held a 70-200 f/2.8? Decently heavy, but manageable. Now consider adding more glass to that…you're talking about a super-tank that'll be stuck on mono- and tri-pods.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Have you held a 70-200 f/2.8? Decently heavy, but manageable. Now consider adding more glass to that…you're talking about a super-tank that'll be stuck on mono- and tri-pods.

Seriously. The more light you let through, the more glass you need. An 18-200 f/2.8 would weigh more than a Buick.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I understand that, but with the technological advances of today, it's a matter of time. We are looking at present lens technology. The Lenses like the Tamron lens posted above, if the trend continues, will allow for more light to pass through while maintaining the same size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.