Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFABS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
So I just got Canon 40D and my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 yesterday. I was so pumped. Took a few pictures after the battery charged and put it down to read the manual for a while. Next time I use it, I'm trying to manual focus the lens and I can't get it to focus sharply. I do the best I can and take the picture even though the image in the view finder is kinda blurry. The picture comes out fine though. I didn't really notice this the when I first picked up the camera. I picked up my old 35mm to see if it was just me, but my 50mm lens on that focus tack sharp. I there's some sort of a adjustment I need to make? Is something up with the lens and I need to send it to Tamron?......:(

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If the images are sharp on your computer and blurry through the camera's viewfinder, then of course there is something wrong with the 40D. I've never heard of this problem before. Do you have any other lenses to try out on it?

AFABS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Also....When I try to auto focus the image it's still not "right on" with the focus. If I recall correctly the first few shots I took, this wasn't an issue.

AFABS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
If the images are sharp on your computer and blurry through the camera's viewfinder, then of course there is something wrong with the 40D. I've never heard of this problem before. Do you have any other lenses to try out on it? What happens if you focus manually?

I don't have any other lenses. And yes I did try to focus it both manually and auto focus.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If you're sure the shots are sharp on your computer, then try taking the camera to a local camera shop. Ask them if you could try any old Canon lens they have, whatever they'll let you try on the camera. See if it does the same thing.

I did something like this when I bought a used camera once. I didn't have the right kind of lens to test something, so I went down to my local camera shop. They were very nice and helpful.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds like a back/front focussing problem. But check your photos on the computer again.. they should also be blurry to some degree!!

Try this:
http://photo.net/learn/focustest/

If it fails the test, send it back and have the lens recalibrated.

AFABS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Well I just figured out the problem and I feel like a complete idiot! I just needed to adjust the -+ wheel to the upper right of the view finder.
Whoops :eek:...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If the images are sharp on your computer and blurry through the camera's viewfinder, then of course there is something wrong with the 40D. I've never heard of this problem before. Do you have any other lenses to try out on it?

If the images are sharp on your computer and blurry through the camera's viewfinder it could be two things..

1) The optical path length from lens to sensor is not the same is the path length from lens to the viewfinder's focus screen. In the old days a camera repair tech would adjust this using thin brass shims. Today I think they just replace the entire camera

2) More likely... There is a diopter adjustment on the camera's view finder. It is used so you can dial in your eyeglasses prescription so your eye can see the focus screen. Even if you have perfect 20/20 vision you should set this to "zero" or the viewfinder will look blurry. The way to test this is to see if the autofocus marks and other readout and displays look blurry, In other works adjust the diopter with the camera aimed at the sky or with the lens cap on. If you have already done this then you might have the #1 above problem

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Well I just figured out the problem and I feel like a complete idiot! I just needed to adjust the -+ wheel to the upper right of the view finder.
Whoops :eek:...

ROFL.... seriously... we both are dont worry! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.