Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I've searching for a long time for a simple non-distracting Outliner for use on my PowerBook, MacBook and iPhone.
During the last days I rediscovered "Taskpaper" and it's qualities of being a text only solution, with files, that will even survive a sudden death of it's applications (which will hopefully never happen) and can be read and even edited with any text-editor.
I use the (now free) TaskPaper1.0 application on PPC (http://support.hogbaysoftware.com/t/where-can-i-download-older-versions-1-2-of-taskpaper/1754), latest TaskPaper3 with Sierra/ElCapitan and Taskmator on iOS. All devices stay synched with the still working DrpBx (thanx @Czo). Since I only keep that single TaskPaper-folder in sync with my PowerBook there's no delay in synching.
Hopefully DrpBx-Sync will stay alive for longer to keep this solution working.

Short description/structure of TaskPaper-files:

Titel:
- List
- List @tag
- List @tag(yyyy-mm-dd) for due date
text text text
text text text
etc.

Lines can be dragged and dropped and Titels or @tags can be filtered.
That's the main principle, but I feel very comfortable with that simplicity.

Reminds me to the old PalmOS-times, where simple text-based solutions like memoleaf (http://www.redwood-creative.com/global/memoleaf.htm) and thoughtmanager (https://web.archive.org/web/20050410031622/http://handshigh.com/html/thoughtmanager.html) had been my peripheral brain ...

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Dropbox-Sync workaround for PPCs

Today I checked a workaround for the time coming, when there's no more working Dropbox-client for PPC/Leopard.
It uses file-sharing with a connected intel-mac within my home-network.
The intel-mac holds the Dropbox-folder which is in sync with Dropbox.
On the PPC I opend that shared Dropbox-folder, created an Alias of my TaskPaper-Folder wihthin the remote Dropbox-Folder and placed it onto my PPC's desktop (this can be done with any other folder or the whole remote Dropbox-Folder too)
By clicking onto the Alias, my PPC automatically connects to my intel-Macs connected folder and I have access to the folder, which is in sync to Dropbox.
In combination with "ChronoSync" it's also possible to sync a local PPC folder with a correspondant remote Dropbox-folder on the connected intel-mac.
This is certainly nothing new to most of the members here in the forum, but I was quite happy about finding out about this option, even if it's limited to my home-network and another (intel-)Mac.
Since I mainly use my iOS device for TaskPaper-input when away from home, the file-sharing-trick gives me the option to also use my PPC for editing Taskpaper-files and keep them simply in sync with my Dropbox-account and iOS-devices.
I wonder, if there's a "Back To My Mac" option to connect my PPC with the intel-MAC at home....?

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Dropbox-Sync workaround for PPCs

Today I checked a workaround for the time coming, when there's no more working Dropbox-client for PPC/Leopard.
It uses file-sharing with a connected intel-mac within my home-network.
The intel-mac holds the Dropbox-folder which is in sync with Dropbox.
On the PPC I opend that shared Dropbox-folder, created an Alias of my TaskPaper-Folder wihthin the remote Dropbox-Folder and placed it onto my PPC's desktop (this can be done with any other folder or the whole remote Dropbox-Folder too)
By clicking onto the Alias, my PPC automatically connects to my intel-Macs connected folder and I have access to the folder, which is in sync to Dropbox.
In combination with "ChronoSync" it's also possible to sync a local PPC folder with a correspondant remote Dropbox-folder on the connected intel-mac.
This is certainly nothing new to most of the members here in the forum, but I was quite happy about finding out about this option, even if it's limited to my home-network and another (intel-)Mac.
Since I mainly use my iOS device for TaskPaper-input when away from home, the file-sharing-trick gives me the option to also use my PPC for editing Taskpaper-files and keep them simply in sync with my Dropbox-account and iOS-devices.
I wonder, if there's a "Back To My Mac" option to connect my PPC with the intel-MAC at home....?
I haven't tested the app yet, but if it really isn't working, @Czo may release a new patch soon.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I haven't tested the app yet, but if it really isn't working, @Czo may release a new patch soon.
Fortunately there might be patches for a while, but it's a good idea to look for workarounds before the service isn't available on PPC anymore...
Forking "Cyberduck" to meet the current demands on connecting to Dropbox would be a great think, but I have zero knowledge about programming.
Would be a great deal for croudfunding ...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dropbox is working.

You are the second person this week to wonder if it is or not.

I assure you. It's working.

Finder.png

Reactions: AmazingHenry

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Dropbox is working.
You are the second person this week to wonder if it is or not.
I assure you. It's working.
View attachment 695423

As for me - I know.
Just thought about the days after ...

Here's another option I'm gonna check over the weekend:
WinXPFundamentals within VirtualPC with folder-sharing between the VM and the Mac.
Unfortunately "Mountainduck" for Windows (which allows Dropbox-Access) requires Win7.

Maybe a small Linux-Distribution within VirtualPC might offer a running Dropbox-Client etc. too, but I didn't succeed with some small distributions yet...

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.