Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi, would this be the right place to start a discussion on a productivity app I developed or can you recommend some other forum that might be more suitable?

I recently released my first app Tasksort in App Store (free) as a kind of side project and I was hoping to get some feedback that could be used for further development of the app. It is pretty much an MVP+ and I have a few ideas for further development, but I would prefer to get some feedback from users and preferably more specific feedback than the few comments in App Store.

So please let me know if you have any suggestions about how to get qualified feedback - or let me know if you have any comments about the app itself.

Thanks!

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Hi, would this be the right place to start a discussion on a productivity app I developed or can you recommend some other forum that might be more suitable?

I recently released my first app Tasksort in App Store (free) as a kind of side project and I was hoping to get some feedback that could be used for further development of the app. It is pretty much an MVP+ and I have a few ideas for further development, but I would prefer to get some feedback from users and preferably more specific feedback than the few comments in App Store.

So please let me know if you have any suggestions about how to get qualified feedback - or let me know if you have any comments about the app itself.

Thanks!
Installed and created my first Project followed by a Task. All well with this and looks to cover the general principles required in a ToDo List.
Being able to select differing views from the ‘Filters’ is definitely a great idea.

Request:
1. This definitely requires iCloud support, or a means of transferring data between iOS/iPadOS..
I use a couple of tablets (iPad Pro & iPad Air 2) and iPhones. Currently you are restricted to just the one device showing your lists. This is not suitable if you are out in the field and need to check up on a specific task.
Ideally you first create your Project and tasks in the office/home. Then whilst out and about you update the specific task which by cloud method is automatically transferred to all other devices for when you return back to the office/home.

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Thank you very much. I very much appreciate your comment. I have been considering a backend/login that might also be used for web and perhaps one day even for android. But starting off with iCloud support would probably be a whole lot easier. I will start looking into it at once though it might take a while to implement. Thanks again and I will be looking forward to following up on any more requests you or anyone else might have. Regards

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Excellent.... I will keep the App installed on my iPad Pro and once you manage to look into cloud support I will be most happy to look at using it between my other devices.

Tip: You could make using cloud support as an added extra; i.e. TaskSort Pro for a small charge.

Reactions: Tasksort

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Great advice! I will certainly think this through. I find it encouraging that you think someone might pay for the app with an addition of iCloud support. This just increases my determination to add this feature.

However, I think I would prefer to offer as many features as possible for free as long as they make sense for the users. And then, if an investor came along some day, add some features that would particularly make sense for professionals and charge for these features. I believe this would also make sense from a business point of view because it would widen the base of potential pro customers. So I need to give it some consideration whether to charge for iCloud support since this would also be useful for non-professional users.

Anyway, I hope more users of MacRumors Forums would like to try out Tasksort and post some feedback. Apart from excellent feedback from Beards, I am still not sure if this is the right place to get feedback on a new app - so any advice on other forums for engaging and getting feedback from users would also be appreciated.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I like the way you are going with this.

One final thought:-
At the moment we have a very handy Task App. Why not look at expanding it to include a Calendar. That way you can either use a filter to view your Projects and Tasks by date form or insert a new Project/Task on a specific date.

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Thanks again! I guess sorting tasks and projects by deadline could be considered some kind of calendar feature though it's based on time till deadline and not exact dates. But it could certainly be improved and a proper calendar is a great idea. And I agree it should be possible to filter by projects.

A calendar could be many different things so some suggestions might be:
  1. Add some headings when tasks and projects are sorted by deadline such as "Today [date]", "Tomorrow [date]", "Next week [date]-[date]" etc.
  2. A horizontally scrolling calendar with dates as headers. This would probably mostly be useful when the screen is in landscape mode. This was what I first had in mind when reading your post. It could allow for adding tasks for specific dates by pressing the header or an empty space below the list of tasks for a given day
  3. A calendar showing months. It probably wouldn't be possible to show any tasks in such a view, but when pressing a specific date the tasks could be shown filtered for that specific day
  4. All of the above and/or something completely different..
I would be happy to know if you have - or anyone else has - any thoughts on this. Would he highly appreciated.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Definitely like these.
Option 1 would give you a ’quick view’ of tasks coming up by date.
Option 2 is a definite starter project. You would be able to see at a quick glance if there is a specific date/period of dates that a project or task could be completed.
Option 3; There is a workaround to showing tasks in a given month view.... Instead of labelling projects or tasks you simply show a figure listing the amount of items for that given month. i.e. July 1Home, 2Tasks (1 Home being the project & 2 Tasks being two tasks attached to the project home).
Option 4 ~ Besides Cloud services (iCloud, Dropbox); Bring in an ability to include photos, GPS data, links to contacts & Apples Calendar App.

Whatever you do, it’s all a learning curve. There will be mistakes but that’s where the fun begins; hunting down the errors is both a time consuming nightmare but also very rewarding to boot LOL.

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Sorry about the late reply. Once again thank you for some great suggestions!!

I have been trying to get my head around option 3 which I think would give a good overview for a year/12 months showing the number of projects and tasks to finish each month. But it might still become a bit crowded when choosing a specific month when showing the number of projects and tasks for each day. However, I guess your point is to show it in a figure rather than in actual numbers and then it might make more sense. Perhaps a vertically scrolling bar chart could do the trick.

Option 4 is definitely also going to be on my list.

It seems you have already done a similar journey a few times. Great to get some advice from you and the chance to learn from the experience of others. It is fun for sure and I just hope this will contribute to making a - in all modesty - pretty good app even better :)

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi, just a quick update... We have now added notifications to Tasksort so it is possible to set one or more notifications for each task or project. Please check it out and if possible give some feedback. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Coming up in December or January is iCloud support - sync and backup - by request from Beards in this forum. Next will be some of the calendar adjustments discussed here as well.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Hi, just a quick update... We have now added notifications to Tasksort so it is possible to set one or more notifications for each task or project. Please check it out and if possible give some feedback. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Coming up in December or January is iCloud support - sync and backup - by request from Beards in this forum. Next will be some of the calendar adjustments discussed here as well.
“Coming up in December or January”; Now it gets interesting.... I’ll set some time this weekend on one side and have a look at the notifications.

Tasksort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi everyone. Just want to let you know that an update allowing iCloud sync and backup has now been released. We hope this might be useful for our users ?

Next up will be some UX and design optimizations. We are working on a few ideas including some discussed here before. But suggestions from users are most welcome!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.