Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edrijver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
I have been using my 13" Macbook Pro Touch Bar 2017 for over half a year now without any problems. I have an Apple digital A/V dongle (the one with usb-c, hdmi and usb-a connections) which works as intended ever since I got the Macbook.

In February I got a USB-C to DisplayPort cable by Choetech, which worked like a charm for about 2 weeks. It is hooked up to a 29" Dell U2913WM. Then the cable stopped working. Coincidentally (or is it?) this happened a day after installing 10.13.3. I intially blamed the cable and got another one by another brand. This functioned for about a day before being killed. I tried 3 more "cables" and a dongle by various makes. All died after 1 or more days of use.

I got a Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter last week. It worked fine for about 24 hours but seemed to have been killed now as well. I need to do some extra testing on this one.

I have a second MacBook Pro tb, from 2016 and a second display with DisplayPort (a Dell 24" from 2007) and was able to use those alternate options to confirm that the cables are indeed dead and do not function on other hardware as well.

My main question: are other people using usb-c to DisplayPort adapters without them breaking down? Is this just my Macbook or is this a common problem with this sort of adapter? Have I been 'unlucky' with the 6 cables I have used?

I have a genius appointment tomorrow though I'm not sure what they can do. I also have a support case running at Apple Technical support which got elevated 3 levels and is now 'at engineers, awaiting response'.

edrijver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
Hmm I have not tracked which usb-c port they were plugged in to when either broke down. I always plugged them in to the left side though. This is something worth testing indeed.

anhsnaps

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe try usb-c to HDMI cable. I had similar problems if I used any sort of adapted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.