Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxusHastings

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Hey Folks,

I have been rocking my late 2016 tbMacBook Pro for a week now and surprisingly enjoying it more than I thought I would. Allot of the "issues" I thought I was going to encounter for my use-case were not as troublesome at all.

However, one thing standing out is that I have a set of studio monitor speakers at my home office, and these connect over USB, now they work fine on my MacPro, Windows Desktop and my old 2013 MacBook Pro.

But, under my new MacBook Pro the speakers show up fine, and as soon as I play any music or audio through them the device drops, re-appears, drops again and this cycles.

I have eliminated the speakers as the source of the issue and also the USB-C to USB Adaptor as the same speakers with the same dongle on a windows USB-C Setup also work fine. So I am thinking this might be an MacOS or a Hardware issue with the device (hopefully not the latter).

Is anyone else experiencing any similar issues? :)

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Do you have access to any other USB speakers to see if your new MBP will run them properly?

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
I have Bowers & Wilkins MM-1's hooked up with a mini-B to usb-c on my MBP and everything works well. Another person at my office has the Bose Companion 5's connected through the standard Apple USB-A to C converter and he hasn't complained about any issues. I would recommend trying another pair of speakers just to be sure. Hope this helps.

MaxusHastings

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Thanks Folks! I had a case open with apple, and they have said they think its a compatibility issue with the chipsets in the Mac and Kef's which is super annoying. I guess I am back on the hunt for a decent set of desktop speakers :(

Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Your speakers don't have any analog input option? If they do, could get a DAC, or even use the headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.