Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
I wouldn't mind having an inexpensive Android device that I can use on occasion - just to mix things up.

TCL's new 10 L seems to be a really good option at $249 USD (there is also a higher-end TCL 10 Pro that can be had for $449 USD). Does anyone have any thoughts on this device? It looks like it set to go on sale imminently and has received some decent reviews.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Like what? I know Motorola's G Power and the BLU G9 Pro are similarly specced and priced. What else would you recommend that's under the $250 mark?
If you are in the US, the Moto G8 power is the obvious straight contender.

If you're in Asia, there are too many phones to consider at that price point. Here are some of the options at that price range in my country, Indonesia.
There's Realme 6 with 90Hz screen, Mediatek G90T, UFS storage, and actually costs slightly less than the TCL.
There's Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro, also with Mediatek G90T, 128GB UFS storage, also costs less.
There's Samsung Galaxy M31, which cost slightly more but comes with 128GB of UFS storage and larger 6000mAh (!) battery, and the Samsung brand.
There's also Oppo A91 with weaker Mediatek P70, but 128GB UFS storage and 8GB(!) of RAM.
There's then Vivo Z1 Pro with SD712 and 128GB UFS storage.

I keep mentioning UFS storage because the TCL 10L uses the slower older eMMC storage. As for camera, I would consider all the phones in this price range to be similar, pairing a high res main camera with an ultra wide and then with useless low-res depth sensor/macro camera.

Personally if I'm in the market of $250 phone, my eyes would be on the Samsung M31 (for the 6000mAh battery) or the Realme 6 if one really wants that higher refresh rate screen.

So far TCL only sells TVs and air conditioning in my country. :D The mobile phone competition here is definitely much tougher.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrickyTreeRed

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Cell phones competition is definitely heating up. Except for 5G and foldable phones, which are over $1000. Mid level phones are reminiscent of micro wave ovens price which are very competitive. As long as phones can take pics, talk and text, consumers will look for lower price products, will stay along $400-500 range.
Forget about those flag ship costing over $800 to $1000 ( non foldables and 5G). Can they brew coffee for you?
I would say TCL is worth considering.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Cell phones competition is definitely heating up. Except for 5G and foldable phones, which are over $1000. Mid level phones are reminiscent of micro wave ovens price which are very competitive. As long as phones can take pics, talk and text, consumers will look for lower price products, will stay along $400-500 range.
Forget about those flag ship costing over $800 to $1000 ( non foldables and 5G). Can they brew coffee for you?
I would say TCL is worth considering.
From my observation, the $1000 cost of phones don't seem to be an issue in developed countries like the US, where most of the consumers are on post paid plans, and usually use contracts or payment plans to spread the $1000 cost over a year or two. We can see this with OnePlus easily raising its prices year on year, knowing that the market can handle it. All the consumers see is just a few dollars more on their usual monthly payment. What matters is marketing your product well.

TCL entering the US market with $250 and $450 phones surely is "easier" as the competition in that price range is not that hot. But is that segment profitable in these developed market? Who knows. But TCL will have a brand/marketing challenge, as people looking for less expensive phones might gravitate towards existing players (like Apple's $400 iPhone SE). I mean if I have $400 for a phone, I might as well get an iPhone SE since I already know Apple as a brand vs an "unknown" TCL phone. The lower segment ($300 and lower) is where Motorola is sitting comfortably since they already have brand awareness.

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
If you are in the US, the Moto G8 power is the obvious straight contender.

If you're in Asia, there are too many phones to consider at that price point. Here are some of the options at that price range in my country, Indonesia.

I'm in Canada, so our device choices pretty much mirror those in the U.S. Also, most of our phones are sold via two-year carrier contracts, so the choices for unlocked devices with the appropriate band compatibility are limited. We can't really buy Oppo, Xiaomi, Realme or Doogee phones. We can get a hold of non-carrier Samsung, Motorola, Asus, BLU and Umidigi devices from Amazon and a select few bricks-and-mortar retailers.

The G8 looks like a decent option and I'll look into UFS storage.

Thanks!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro is a slightly better competitor but depends on country since it probably doesn't have all the bands.

Reactions: TrickyTreeRed

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro is a slightly better competitor but depends on country since it probably doesn't have all the bands.

I really like this Redmi and was also researching it. The title of the YouTube review is incorrect. He's actually reviewing the Redmi Note 9S, not the Pro. He clearly states it's the 9S in the video, but someone mixed-up the title. The Pro is available for preorder, but it costs about $400 USD. The Note 9S will work in Canada on 4G (LTE). The only real issue is that Xiaomi mobile devices are not available for sale (officially) in Canada, but I can order it from Amazon, AliExpress or Banggood.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.