Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralnavman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
United Kingdom
I have a mid 2010 27 iMac with High Sierra. Due to the hard drive size etc, want to use the machine to keep backups of various things. Delighted to find the OCLP project and subsequently loaded Ventura 13.6 which runs really well. This is my first time with the Mac environment, previously Windows, so I'm still learning. I also now have an early 2011 13" MBP, now running on Monterey 12.7.1, again thanks to the wonderful OCLP project.
I need to use the MBP to remotely access the iMac for which I would like to use Teamviewer having used it with Windows. And that's where I have a problem. It connects, and when the iMac is at the logon screen, I can see it in all its glory. When I log the iMac on, the host screen goes black and the iMac screen is grey, with the doc bar and ribbon strip showing on the iMac but not on the host. I say host because I have used both the MBP and a Windows machine and get the same results. I have granted all the security accesses on the iMac, loaded the very recent OCLP 1.2.2 and still the same. I can only imagine that the iMac isn't running graphics that is usable in Teamviewer. Having said that, I am fairly certain that it worked with High Sierra. The graphics in the iMac is the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb.
Has anyone else had this issue (can't believe I'm the only one) and know how to make this work or have an alternative solution. I have also tried AnyDesk which doesn't seem to want to even connect.
Thanks for any help

Reactions: TechMeBack

TechMeBack

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
I have a mid 2010 27 iMac with High Sierra. Due to the hard drive size etc, want to use the machine to keep backups of various things. Delighted to find the OCLP project and subsequently loaded Ventura 13.6 which runs really well. This is my first time with the Mac environment, previously Windows, so I'm still learning. I also now have an early 2011 13" MBP, now running on Monterey 12.7.1, again thanks to the wonderful OCLP project.
I need to use the MBP to remotely access the iMac for which I would like to use Teamviewer having used it with Windows. And that's where I have a problem. It connects, and when the iMac is at the logon screen, I can see it in all its glory. When I log the iMac on, the host screen goes black and the iMac screen is grey, with the doc bar and ribbon strip showing on the iMac but not on the host. I say host because I have used both the MBP and a Windows machine and get the same results. I have granted all the security accesses on the iMac, loaded the very recent OCLP 1.2.2 and still the same. I can only imagine that the iMac isn't running graphics that is usable in Teamviewer. Having said that, I am fairly certain that it worked with High Sierra. The graphics in the iMac is the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb.
Has anyone else had this issue (can't believe I'm the only one) and know how to make this work or have an alternative solution. I have also tried AnyDesk which doesn't seem to want to even connect.
Thanks for any help
I have the same, exact issue with a 2010 21.5" with a ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of RAM. I have not been able to find a via workaround, either.

Ralnavman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
United Kingdom
I have the same, exact issue with a 2010 21.5" with a ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of RAM. I have not been able to find a via workaround, either.
Yea, and I have seen other posts without an answer....very frustrating.
I'm having to look at alternatives that do work. I have found one so far that does.......it is a paid app but it does work which proves that it is not technically impossible so I'm a little confused why no-one has addressed this! Have you also used OCLP to upgrade the remote?

TechMeBack

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Yes, I neglected to mention in my response that I had upgraded that 2010 iMac to macOS 13.x "Ventura."

What paid app works? I used Screens 4 in the past (NOT with this iMac) but, other than that, I've not used another app like it or Teamviewer. I ended up going with Teamviewer because it's more reliable to be able to access remotely in "unattended mode." I could never get Screens 4 set up correctly so I could access a Mac remotely in unattended mode.

Ralnavman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
United Kingdom
Yes, I neglected to mention in my response that I had upgraded that 2010 iMac to macOS 13.x "Ventura."

What paid app works? I used Screens 4 in the past (NOT with this iMac) but, other than that, I've not used another app like it or Teamviewer. I ended up going with Teamviewer because it's more reliable to be able to access remotely in "unattended mode." I could never get Screens 4 set up correctly so I could access a Mac remotely in unattended mode.
I thought you must have had. I'm pretty sure TV worked when it was on High Sierra but I can't be certain.

However, I previously thought that it might be the patched graphic driver(s) that were causing the issue seeing that a big issue of why later Mac O/S's wouldn't run is later upgraded graphics as well as Intel. But the app I have used, Remote Desktop Guest by Wisemo works so it kind of shows that it isn't stopping it work so????? I have to say a couple of things about the app, I haven't tried it 'externally' off my network but as I have created a 'domain' on their website, I have no concerns that it won't work. Also, I have it loaded on a MacBook accessing the iMac so I have only had to get one 'licence'. If you are using another O/S then you have to have 2 different accesses so to speak. It's on a 30 day trial but if I go forward then it's 24Euros for an annual licence. The amount of time I've thrown at getting TV, my preferred solution, the 24 isn't quite so bad. And I haven't picked up on every command that one needs to use, its not quite as natural as TV.
Unhappy though that TV doesn't work, and not being an isolated instance that no-one has been able to provide any answer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.