Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Can anyone advise on simple ways to avoid glare from reflective strips on personal protection equipment (PPE) when taking staged or action shots?

I'm thinking specificially about firefighters in this case, if anyone is wondering!

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have that problem when I take pictures of maritime buoys and aids to navigation. I end up fixing the issue in photoshop. Is the strobe on-camera?

Using a translucent umbrella and a couple of Pocket Wizards could help as well.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I know the problem; I only wish I had the solution. I find a lot of things will go unpleasantly day-glo with digital (it really wasn't an issue with film...): mooring bouys, daffodils and other flowers (especially red ones), certain items of clothing. I get colour shifts and fringing around the edges. My remedy is generally to de-saturate that particular colour, but it's not ideal...

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
Can anyone advise on simple ways to avoid glare from reflective strips on personal protection equipment (PPE) when taking staged or action shots?

I'm thinking specificially about firefighters in this case, if anyone is wondering!

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

I guess the answer would be to avoid using a camera-mounted flash. I would just crank up the ISO and avoid using a flash if you have decent room lighting, and then you can adjust white balance, etc. later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.