Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
1660535730538.png

I'm running Cinebench with Low power mode off, macsfancontrol updated to the newest version
There were no sensors such as Cpu core 1 98C showing up
Is that happening to every user or there is a bug

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
View attachment 2043111
I'm running Cinebench with Low power mode off, macsfancontrol updated to the newest version
There were no sensors such as Cpu core 1 98C showing up
Is that happening to every user or there is a bug
The sensors are all different on the M2. Macs Fan Control probably needs to be updated specifically for the M2. Contact the developer.

I've been playing around with the sensors for a week or so. The temperatures seem to be very different from the M1. The M1 had most of them nicely labeled and you figure out which ones were for performance cores, efficiency cores, GPU etc. None of that is obvious with the M2.

Take anyone reporting temperatures with the M2 with a large grain of salt for now. It is likely that the temperatures don't mean the same thing as with the M1.

Reactions: Alex Cai

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
The Air has no fans. If it's reaching such temperatures is because you are running the chip t max on a passively cooled laptop.
My previous point is that the temp sensors on the app is not working properly

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
1660706363191.png

I tried istatisca and it worked
some cpu cores are missing but at least the temperature seems all right

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
The sensors are all different on the M2. Macs Fan Control probably needs to be updated specifically for the M2. Contact the developer.

I've been playing around with the sensors for a week or so. The temperatures seem to be very different from the M1. The M1 had most of them nicely labeled and you figure out which ones were for performance cores, efficiency cores, GPU etc. None of that is obvious with the M2.

Take anyone reporting temperatures with the M2 with a large grain of salt for now. It is likely that the temperatures don't mean the same thing as with the M1.
So I just wait for the dev to update their apps

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
That doesn't look right, the palm rest could not possibly be 68C, that's above the legal limit for heat on surface of laptop.
I think Apple reused some of the SMC keys for different sensors in the M2. Most likely any label is not accurate for the M2.

I’ve read the current issues with a couple of open source projects on GitHub and there is no real consensus on what the sensors mean yet. It’s possible that the closed source commercial products are further along but maybe not. Apple didn’t make it easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.