Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Sorry, this is about a "late" Early Intel 15" mid-2012 MacBookPro9,1 , but I feel more comfortable to ask here, than anywhere else.

I've searched a lot about "flickering displays", but all sources describe symptoms different from my problem.

Whenever the MacBook's screen fires up (after booting, sleeping-mode, switched of display), there's a kind of 50Hz flickering of brightness (stronger at the edges) without any other graphical artifacts. The flickering slowly fades away after about 1-2 minutes and after that the screen looks quite ok.
I've already tried this without any effect:
- SMB-reset, PRAM-reset (funny: during white screen of booting-procedure no flickering)
- reconnected the display-cable, checked all internal connectors
- pressed the lower bezel of the display (where the MacBook logo is - electronic and cables are located behind)
- switched of WLAN and Bluetooth
- tried different power-connectors and and also just running the book only powered by the battery.
- switched off automatic adaptation of screen-brightness
- problem appears both with Mojave and Win10pro (it's a DualBoot machine with a second SSD in place of the optical drive-bay, but AFAIK symptoms appeared even with the optical drive in place).
I'm at the end of my wits - is it related to the display, or a dying GPU or the inverter? (Does Win10 make use of the dedicated GPU at all?)
So far I can cope, since the flickering fades away after a short time, but I fear, it might be a first sign of bigger hardware failure?
Any ideas? Thanks!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
This is the same model MacBook Pro as mine - do you have gfxCardStatus installed, which will allow you to switch between the 2 GPUs and test them both out individually?
See https://gfx.io/ for more info.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: bobesch

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This is the same model MacBook Pro as mine - do you have gfxCardStatus installed, which will allow you to switch between the 2 GPUs and test them both out individually?
See https://gfx.io/ for more info.

Cheers :)

Hugh
Oh, thanks to remind me to gfxCardStatus. (I used that some times ago on a rotten 2010 15"MBP.)
But it doesn't make any difference, wether "only r" or "only-i" is selected ... ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.