Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I have some JPEGs that I am cropping to make new JPEGS. I am using 'PhotoStudio" to do this.
The original files, which came from a scanner, look pretty good in coverflow. The amended ones, which are only 25% smaller (basically I am just cropping the sides a little) look awful in coverflow, massively pixellated, you'd think there were only about 100 pixels in the images. But these same cropped images look fine when you view them in any other app including inbuilt Mac ones such as preview or quick look.

So, it looks to me as if , for whatever reason, PhotoStudio, is incompatible with cover flow but its also worrying me that maybe I could be getting better quality with a different editor if there is something strange about the JPEGs it produces.

Any ideas about (1) the coverflow issue, and (2) what I could use to do cropping instead of PhotoStudio? I am cropping to a fixed size so want a fixed pixel size rectangle I can move around the original image to select and then create the new one.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
There's nothing wrong with your files, just with the thumbnails it produces. Photoshop-saved jpgs have the same issue. Just go to your preferences and choose to save without a thumbnail, and the problem should go away. The Finder generates the thumbnails on the fly and they look great. :)

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
There's nothing wrong with your files, just with the thumbnails it produces. Photoshop-saved jpgs have the same issue. Just go to your preferences and choose to save without a thumbnail, and the problem should go away. The Finder generates the thumbnails on the fly and they look great. :)

Thanks. I have also found a much better tool for cropping, Graphic ConverterX, which I will be using instead, but in case I hit this issue again its good to know how to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.